• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS sees FDX/USPS deal as Antitrust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, you need to read it again. VW has been producing those cars in Mexico for years. As bad as our dollar is, it is still stronger than the Peso.....for now.
Correct, you forgot to factor in the transportation of those cars. US factories will produce for the US market, Mexican factories for the Mexican and central American market...

Here, let me try and explain my view a little better without even bringing the Chinese government manipulation of its currency. Most people see these trade agreements as good things. They say things like "I can get my kids Nike's, and toys cheap". The good points of trade, right? I disagree because those American companies that produced shoes are out of business and their workers out on the street. You say thats supply and demand and I say thats is killing our job markets. What good are the cheap Nike's when there are no jobs to get the paycheck and buy those Nike's? You say it will never happen and I say BS, it already is happening. We are being reduced to a two class society in America. So while I don't shop at WalMart anymore, I may be forced to again because the jobs are leaving that provide a wage to buy the better wares. And I'm not alone. This DHL/UPS deal will put thousands on the streets. The better paying jobs in that group will be the pilots of ABX and Astar. Do you think there are enough pilot positions open that will employ all of them? Then kick in all the pilots already unemployed via the shutdowns of ATA, SkyBus, Aloha and others. And now you will say something like that has nothing to do with the free trade agreements we are talking about and I will say BS again. Our weak dollar and economy has everything to do with what I am talking about. Do you think those well paid pilot jobs are easily replaced? Do you think those households that have been buying the better American and European made wares will be able to still buy them or will those households be shopping at WalMart to make the dollar stretch farther. Eeheemm, two class society. It is not always a matter of cutting off your nose to spite your face. These households know the better things in life and change will not come easily. While some will be lucky, others will go into the machine feeding it and its not their fault. If the demand were there for American goods, those wares would flourish and demand would rise and jobs would be created. Based off your argument thats what would happen. Basic supply and demand, right? Well, what if all American companies were bought out by foreign companies and all wares produced over seas, all tech services provided over seas.

I know that is pretty extreme, but not far from where we are right now. Where are the calls of the Unions like back in the 70's and 80's to buy American? They have been busted and no longer. Those jobs victim to supply and demand, right? Now think REAL HARD for a minute and think about what open skies means to your job. I would love to hear the answer to that supply and demand question.

Last edited:
Correct, you forgot to factor in the transportation of those cars. US factories will produce for the US market, Mexican factories for the Mexican and central American market...

That sounds right. Wages will be in line with the economy of the country. Like what we had before this globalization toward a world economy. I only wonder if that is what will happen or will we find cheap imports still flooding the market to support the bottom line and executive bonuses?

Jobless rate soars to 5.5% in May

Biggest rise in unemployment since 1975

The economy has lost 324,000 jobs this year

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={6B9B2E20-06E8-4FC0-AD5A-3029D5057F89}

Over two decades, the income gap has steadily increased between the richest Americans .... and those at the middle and bottom of the pay scale, whose paychecks buy less.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/13/national/main635936.shtml

Income Disparity Widens to Levels Not Seen Since Great Depresssion

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/13/national/main635936.shtml

Last edited:
Shooter, like I said, I want to keep DHL deal out of my explanation because it’s a very sad subject for thousands of people right now and I don’t want to stir up any anger. As a Brown pilot I’m not a fan of this agreement and have clearly stated my reasons here before, you can look up my old posts if you want so I won’t go there again.

I think you and I agree on many things believe it or not but the big difference is our basic political leanings. I have seen how government involvement can hurt people in the long run, how it can ruin whole families and entire countries despite lofty goals of equal access to this, free that, subsidized something else. There are no perfect countries out there and probably never will be. However, I think the US has got the best thing going out there and I honestly think that we’ll prevail and be an even stronger nation in the future because and not despite of our capitalistic society.

Many of our current trade agreements are not entirely fair and maybe should be adjusted, however in the long term we, as in the US will be the ones flourishing the most.

You say, what happened to the days of 70s and 80s when the unions actively promoted us to buy “American?” Well, it didn’t work then and it won’t work now either. What is American and what is foreign? and what percentage will we call American?

Believe it or not but the Swedish built yet American owned (by Ford) Volvo has more American parts than it has Swedish. So, should we boycott Volvo even though it’s actually more American than it is Swedish? Toyotas that are build in Georgetown, KY have some 35 % parts made in the US and most of all are assembled by the American workers. How would we boycott Toyota? …only certain models? Or maybe only if they’re build outside the US?

The best hope we can have is for the US dollar to regain it’s strength which would lower the oil prices. In Europe they used to be slammed twice when the oil prices went up, first the price of oil (traded in dollar) would go up and secondly the European currencies used to continuously drop in value against the mighty US dollar – guess what, now we’re experiencing what they’ve experienced for generations but in reverse – dollar drops, oil increases, etc. I know there’re numerous reasons to why the oil keeps going up but I believe the weakness of the US dollar is a contributing and a major factor.

In my view we must ensure that all trade agreements we sign are fair because like you said sometimes they are not. You mention the Chinese currency manipulation? Well, remember that we were the ones who pushed the Chinese to embrace economical reforms years and years ago; they did and now we suddenly realize that we unleashed a behemoth competitor. Sure, their currency should be stronger which would help us in the short term, in the long term it’d hurt us though. Do we really want the Chinese to be flush with a very strong currency all of a sudden?

Our best hope for a ‘fair trade’ that’ll benefit us the most in the future is to make sure that the US dollar strengthens again, that we keep our income and our corporate taxes as low as we can to keep ourselves competitive and to make sure that we do not run a budget deficit.

Protectionism (what you’re in effect advocating) will not help us and in fact will hurt us greatly in the long run. Even ‘left-leaning’ economists who subscribe to ‘Keynes’ economics (promote “mixed” - government & private sector - economies) agree that trade is good for us in the long run.

The unemployment link – well where do I start? The fact is that our unemployment rate is way lower than in any of the European countries – a major trading partner (Ireland might be the exception) . Also, it’s been within .5 of where it was during Clinton yet no one thought it was too high at the time?

So if Clinton was in power right now (or Obama) you’d have used the same numbers to show me how incredible good we have it.

We have very different views and will always look for stuff to support our arguments. The very same link you used as a negative I’d have used as a pretty incredible achievement considering the current fuel prices and the fact most of our trading partners have at least 3-4 percent higher unemployment.

You and I could be discussing this for days and probably still think that ‘my’ way of thinking is better. So I’ll give it a rest for now agreeing to disagree with you…

Enjoyed it, take care.

Last edited:
Shooter, like I said, I want to keep DHL deal out of my explanation because it’s a very sad subject for thousands of people right now and I don’t want to stir up any anger. As a Brown pilot I’m not a fan of this agreement and have clearly stated my reasons here before, you can look up my old posts if you want so I won’t go there again.

I know you don’t harbor any joy out of the DHL deal. I only use that as a clearer example of trade policy affecting out American work force. Not that the trade policy caused it. (and to not hijack this 100% of this thread) I was not trying to argue that with you, if that is what you thought.

I think you and I agree on many things believe it or not but the big difference is our basic political leanings. I have seen how government involvement can hurt people in the long run, how it can ruin whole families and entire countries despite lofty goals of equal access to this, free that, subsidized something else. There are no perfect countries out there and probably never will be. However, I think the US has got the best thing going out there and I honestly think that we’ll prevail and be an even stronger nation in the future because and not despite of our capitalistic society.

Many of our current trade agreements are not entirely fair and maybe should be adjusted, however in the long term we, as in the US will be the ones flourishing the most.

I am not a fan of government running our companies either. However they are responsible for setting up these trade agreements that do not favor the American worker. They do favor the corporations and their bottom lines and I think they have forgotten that they work for us, the people of America and not the corporate bottom line. And I too think America is the best country in the world and I don’t want corporate greed and lobbyists to destroy a land and government by the people for the people. Nowhere does it say for this corporation over that one.

You say, what happened to the days of 70s and 80s when the unions actively promoted us to buy “American?” Well, it didn’t work then and it won’t work now either. What is American and what is foreign? and what percentage will we call American?

Believe it or not but the Swedish built yet American owned (by Ford) Volvo has more American parts than it has Swedish. So, should we boycott Volvo even though it’s actually more American than it is Swedish? Toyotas that are build in Georgetown, KY have some 35 % parts made in the US and most of all are assembled by the American workers. How would we boycott Toyota? …only certain models? Or maybe only if they’re build outside the US?

Please don’t confuse my hatred toward China trade policy and NAFTA for that which we have had with Europe since our country was founded. (A certain cup of tea excluded ;) ).Big difference in trade agreements there and what I see as a mutual benefit between Europe and America unlike the others.

The best hope we can have is for the US dollar to regain it’s strength which would lower the oil prices. In Europe they used to be slammed twice when the oil prices went up, first the price of oil (traded in dollar) would go up and secondly the European currencies used to continuously drop in value against the mighty US dollar – guess what, now we’re experiencing what they’ve experienced for generations but in reverse – dollar drops, oil increases, etc. I know there’re numerous reasons to why the oil keeps going up but I believe the weakness of the US dollar is a contributing and a major factor.

I agree.
In my view we must ensure that all trade agreements we sign are fair because like you said sometimes they are not. You mention the Chinese currency manipulation? Well, remember that we were the ones who pushed the Chinese to embrace economical reforms years and years ago; they did and now we suddenly realize that we unleashed a behemoth competitor. Sure, their currency should be stronger which would help us in the short term, in the long term it’d hurt us though. Do we really want the Chinese to be flush with a very strong currency all of a sudden?

They do have strong currency. It is being run by our dollar buying all their crap and it hurts us more by them not valuing it as such. Now ask an economist why they want to force the devaluation of their currency which not so coincidentally hurts ours.

Our best hope for a ‘fair trade’ that’ll benefit us the most in the future is to make sure that the US dollar strengthens again, that we keep our income and our corporate taxes as low as we can to keep ourselves competitive and to make sure that we do not run a budget deficit.

Ahhh, I agree here more than you know. You MUST keep corporate taxes low because it just hurts us. Corporations are not tax payers, they are tax collectors. The more you tax a corporation, they just pass that to the consumer. A corporate tax increase is a tax increase on the consumer.

Protectionism (what you’re in effect advocating) will not help us and in fact will hurt us greatly in the long run. Even ‘left-leaning’ economists who subscribe to ‘Keynes’ economics (promote “mixed” - government & private sector - economies) agree that trade is good for us in the long run.

I think you are confusing a trade policy that equally set up to ones that are anti-American. Do you think signing trade agreements should be sided against America are protectionist? That is what thy are supposed to do. Secure the interests of the nations involved. What good does it do to sign an agreement that hurts your industry, workers and economy? Sadly, that is where we find ourselves and that is a national interest to correct, not one of party.

The unemployment link – well where do I start? The fact is that our unemployment rate is way lower than in any of the European countries – a major trading partner (Ireland might be the exception) . Also, it’s been within .5 of where it was during Clinton yet no one thought it was too high at the time?

I think you are still confusing the USA/EU trade agreements with those I have a real problem with. Europe has been seeing many of the same problems as the US. And it is result of bad agreements with China to start, and corporations free ability to use cheap foreign labor without regard. There is no need for them to provide the securities our laws provide such as wage, safety, and welfare.

So if Clinton was in power right now (or Obama) you’d have used the same numbers to show me how incredible good we have it.

Clinton was the one that signed NAFTA.

We have very different views and will always look for stuff to support our arguments. The very same link you used as a negative I’d have used as a pretty incredible achievement considering the current fuel prices and the fact most of our trading partners have at least 3-4 percent higher unemployment.

You and I could be discussing this for days and probably still think that ‘my’ way of thinking is better. So I’ll give it a rest for now agreeing to disagree with you…

Enjoyed it, take care.

I agree that we seem to disagree. But I will not stop preaching what I believe in. I always enjoy talking and debating differing views. :beer:

And to everyone…..sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:
They do have strong currency. It is being run by our dollar buying all their crap and it hurts us more by them not valuing it as such. Now ask an economist why they want to force the devaluation of their currency which not so coincidentally hurts ours.

Damn it, I’ll probably be late for my flight now but I had to come back to say - huh?

I'm not sure what you mean by "they (China) have a strong currency?"

China was until a little more than a year ago pegged to the dollar (Hong Kong still is). Now they use a basket of currencies and the Yuan has strengthened toward the dollar some 15% since de-pegging. Most economists agree that it’s still 25-45% undervalued to where the Chinese purchasing power really is today.

Right now it costs just under 7 Yuan (RMB) for a dollar; many currency traders think it'll be 5.50 to 6 RMB to the dollar by the end of this year. After the Olympic Games it'll probably gain strength faster as the Chinese right now are keeping down the ascend of their currency to promote the tourism industry during the Olympic games.

What economist do you know of that wants to force a devaluation of the Chinese RMB? That's the first I've heard. Are you sure you aren't talking about them wanting it to be revalued, and not devalued?

Last edited:

Damn it, I’ll probably be late for my flight now but I had to come back to say - huh?

I'm not sure what you mean by "they (China) have a strong currency?"

China was until a little more than a year ago pegged to the dollar (Hong Kong still is). Now they use a basket of currencies and the Yuan has strengthened toward the dollar some 15% since de-pegging. Most economists agree that it’s still 25-45% undervalued to where the Chinese purchasing power really is today.

Right now it costs just under 7 Yuan (RMB) for a dollar; many currency traders think it'll be 5.50 to 6 RMB to the dollar by the end of this year. After the Olympic Games it'll probably gain strength faster as the Chinese right now are keeping down the ascend of their currency to promote the tourism industry during the Olympic games.

What economist do you know of that wants to force a devaluation of the Chinese RMB? That's the first I've heard. Are you sure you aren't talking about them wanting it to be revalued, and not devalued?

no no no , you misread what I was saying. You and I are saying the same thing. When I say they are forcing the devaluation, I am speaking of the Chinese government forcing the value down. Most economists say it should be valued higher which makes it stronger than what the value represents. When I said ask an economist, I was saying ask what benefit China has by keeping their currency under valued. It is kind of scary if you go as far as conspiracy theorists reasons since so much of our debt is being bought by China.

It's early in the morning. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Last edited:
My rant may have started with DHL, but really has to do with foreign companies being allowed to buy up America and be able to destroy us from the inside. One American job at a time and one American company at a time.

Do you really feel that DP did this for the sole purpose of destroying american jobs? I think that was just a byproduct of their shi&&y management. I'm sure that they would have rather seen it flourish and create 10,000 more american jobs.

Do you really feel that DP did this for the sole purpose of destroying american jobs? I think that was just a byproduct of their shi&&y management. I'm sure that they would have rather seen it flourish and create 10,000 more american jobs.

DHL aside, my rant went on about the state of our job market. Many many many jobs have been outsourced and that was the basis for my rant. It ties into the DHL mess because many good paying jobs will not be able to be replaced. The best paying of those jobs would be the pilots. Two different animals in the same cage. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Latest resources

Back