UPS pilots refuse to haul Northwest Airlines struck goods

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PurpleTail said:
The employees do what's right...they make a stand, define their value and hold to it AND NOT LET MANAGEMENT BEND THEM OVER FOR YEARS TO COME. If the company goes BK then even management has to look for a new job. The employees find jobs with the stronger companies and the weak and inept die, if even if it does mean making a few changes in life.

Don't you ever wonder where the industry would be today if ANY of the UAir or United labor groups took a stand??? Instead the goverment kept throwing money at a USELESS cause and now look were we are.[/QUOTE]

Pretty bold statement purple.

Thank your lucky star's that YOU do not have to make a "Stand" for the industry.
Your very fortunate to be employed by a profitable company, I just wonder if you would be making those statements if your paycheck and family were on the line.

Enjoy your time at purple.

Purple I think the UAL employees took a stand, did not we see the "Max Pay to the Last Day" quoted on this board back in 2002?
Then at the last day, they elected that feeding their families on a reduced UAL pay was better than driving a bread truck route and they stayed with the company. It is nearly impossible for a pilot to go from $200K/yr in the cockpit to anything outside of aviation and make a fraction of their old pay.

Superpilot92 said:
bizjournals.com
UPS pilots refuse to haul Northwest Airlines struck goods
Tuesday August 16, 2:01 pm ET

Northwest Airlines "has an extensive cargo operation and is now actively in the market attempting to line up aircraft and carriers to provide airlift to dodge the effects of a strike. ... UPS pilots have the contractual right to refuse to move airplanes containing struck goods. We will simply set the parking brakes on any UPS plane containing (Northwest Airlines) struck goods."

Good For you guys at UPS!!

Maybe its me but I think people are taking this way out of context.....all the UPS pilots are doing is enforcing their contract. I feel that many here think they are all holding hands and saying that they love NWA etc.......it seems clear to me that they were smart to negotiate a clause like that. I could be wrong......
IB

koko nw [/b said:
Pretty bold statement purple.

Thank your lucky star's that YOU do not have to make a "Stand" for the industry.
Your very fortunate to be employed by a profitable company, I just wonder if you would be making those statements if your paycheck and family were on the line.

Enjoy your time at purple.

koko~ You are 100% right, it is real easy to sit up in the cheap seats and flap my lips in the wind, I'll give you that. And yes, I count my blessing everyday I ended up where I did. But I also know that my skills at making money are not just limited to avaition. I love being a pilot but I don't have to be a pilot.

Nothing is ever a 'sure thing' and even though I am at a fairly stable company right now that doesn't mean things won't change. I know for a fact, almost, that by the time I retire in 2030 that company funded pensions will be something you only read about in the history books. I try to stay ahead of the game and be prepared, sometimes your right and sometimes you are wrong.

I never want to see anyone lose their job but at the same time I don't want to see what happen to United and UAir again either.

PurpleTail said:
koko~ You are 100% right, it is real easy to sit up in the cheap seats and flap my lips in the wind, I'll give you that. And yes, I count my blessing everyday I ended up where I did. But I also know that my skills at making money are not just limited to avaition. I love being a pilot but I don't have to be a pilot.

With the way the industry is, what I am surprised about is that people are still getting aviation degrees.

PurpleTail said:

Nothing is ever a 'sure thing' and even though I am at a fairly stable company right now that doesn't mean things won't change. I know for a fact, almost, that by the time I retire in 2030 that company funded pensions will be something you only read about in the history books. I try to stay ahead of the game and be prepared, sometimes your right and sometimes you are wrong.

I never want to see anyone lose their job but at the same time I don't want to see what happen to United and UAir again either.

Thank you Purple for your classy reply.

Tailwinds

Guess I don't understand this. Struck goods? WTF? The NWA mechanics will be refusing to perform maintenance on NWA planes? What struck goods are the UPS pilots talking about?

hoover said:
Guess I don't understand this. Struck goods? WTF? The NWA mechanics will be refusing to perform maintenance on NWA planes? What struck goods are the UPS pilots talking about?

Your right, you dont understand this.

hoover said:

In case you didn't know, NWA has a fleet of 747F's.

Latest resources

Back