UPS pilots refuse to haul Northwest Airlines struck goods

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Raising the bar

It is time to begin raising the bar. There is still a long way to go in this industry, but it's time to at least arrest the descent.

Yank McCobb said:
Then I guess you need to make sure that every passenger you ever carry was not re-booked at some point from a NWA flight.:rolleyes:

I know that SWA does not have interline agreements with other carriers, but virtually the rest of the legacy carriers do with each other. If need be, a NWA PAX could go up to another carriers counter and exchange the ticket easily for that carriers if they agree to do so. Its been done many times in the past.

SWAdude said:
I know that SWA does not have interline agreements with other carriers, but virtually the rest of the legacy carriers do with each other. If need be, a NWA PAX could go up to another carriers counter and exchange the ticket easily for that carriers if they agree to do so. Its been done many times in the past.

That's kind of my point. That it would be next to impossible for the pilots to have any knowledge at all if a passenger had, at one time or another, been booked on a NWA flight. Of course, the company could refuse to accept the ticket, but I highly doubt any company would take this stance unless they felt they would not or could not get paid for it. If there is money to be made accepting these tickets, they will take them...plain and simple, and there is nothing the crews can do about it nor have any say in the matter.

Yank McCobb said:
That's kind of my point. That it would be next to impossible for the pilots to have any knowledge at all if a passenger had, at one time or another, been booked on a NWA flight. Of course, the company could refuse to accept the ticket, but I highly doubt any company would take this stance unless they felt they would not or could not get paid for it. If there is money to be made accepting these tickets, they will take them...plain and simple, and there is nothing the crews can do about it nor have any say in the matter.

Good point. As well as UPS and the Cargo. How would the pilots know what they are hauling?

pilotyip said:
Nice way to show UPS management who's boss, but there is plenty of lift out there, anyone can find someone to move something anywhere through 3rd party internet charter. If UPS won't haul the box someone else. In fact a 3rd party broker could ship NWA stuff on UPS and no one would know. I saw this during the 2002 West coast dock strike, all kinds of stuff coming from and going overseas on everything from US to Russian cargo airplanes.

That wasn't a strike, it was a lockout. Big, big difference.

What a crock.....let's make them national hero's or build a monument for this grand jesture...

Of course the shippers are just going to reroute to UPS or someone else and they will get their business.... yeah these are definitely glory bound pilots for their support of the IAM mechanics.

pilotyip said:
Purple: When you "cripple management and their business" what happens to the employess when the company goes into BK?

The employees do what's right...they make a stand, define their value and hold to it AND NOT LET MANAGEMENT BEND THEM OVER FOR YEARS TO COME. If the company goes BK then even management has to look for a new job. The employees find jobs with the stronger companies and the weak and inept die, if even if it does mean making a few changes in life.

Don't you ever wonder where the industry would be today if ANY of the UAir or United labor groups took a stand??? Instead the goverment kept throwing money at a USELESS cause and now look were we are.

Last edited:
Publishers said:
What a crock.....let's make them national hero's or build a monument for this grand jesture...

Do we have a say in the construction of our monument?

pilotyip said:
Purple: When you "cripple management and their business" what happens to the employess when the company goes into BK?

Employee paycuts/furloughs is the easiest way to deal with the current problem. That's not to say that it's correct. Even Wall Street agrees that it's not the labor issue, it's the lack of revenue, and no matter how much cutting you do, unless you address the revenue, you'll be in the red. Employees taking a stand could actually force the company to do what's right and address the revenue. The problem is, we have no leadership at ALPA or any other union that's even worth the spit. Same with other labor groups.... the managements took advantage of it, and here we are today...

Good on IPA and the UPS pilot group!!

Latest resources

Back