Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
I am not a rocket scientist and could not locate "official" UPS company information on UPS Pilot new hire requirements

Would someone be kind to post these?

Looking for the latest info, also curious if FCC restricted radiotelephone operator permit is required, as some boards have indicated.

Thanks!

from what I have heard (not seen in writing):

the basic requirments
ATP
1000 PIC turbine (not a hard number)
4000 TT (also not a hard number)
BA,BS

each person is evaluated seperately--you may have have 2500 TT and someone else 10000 TT. based on experience, type of flying and quality.

sorry if this is a little vague--no hiring since 09-01!

sheesh

no hiring since 01?

did you freeze retirements also?

thanks for the info tho

Actually, your pretty close!!! Yes, we've had many pilots retire here, unfortunately, most of them jumped into the back seat of the 747, 727 and DC-8... Yeah, I think it suck too, but its all about senority, they have it, many dont.

We're also trading 3 pilot for planes for 2 pilot planes, so therefore, not many vacancies (atleast thats what the company says). UPS management likes to keep our planes (some fleets) at about 1 1/2 crews per plane. Yeah, its nuts, but then again, so is there staffing model...

Dont even get me started about "smart" decisions made here by "Management" Its truckers running an airline, if you come here, dont EVER forget it... They wont let you forget... I feel like Im still in the military and some 03/06 is doing all they can to ensure their OER's are top blocks, that is of course at everyone elses expence... Those of you who have been there, know exactly what Im talking about...

All that being said, Im lucky to still have a job and I keep that in mind when I start thinking about this place too hard. I REALLY cant wait to see the new contract settled. Word on the street is that when the contract is done, and if its good enough (retirment issues) alot of the older ret/FE guys might jump ship... Im not that optomistic. Wait and see...

BigBrown

Some research indicates that IPA has a new president and earlier desires to have a contract by March may be "optimistic", according to Mr. Tom Nicholson.

With that said, lets pretend it is signed by August, and in any event, I would be inclined to think that UPS corporate types are not going to devise pilot hiring plans until the new contract is signed.

Maybe "end of year" 2004 hiring?

Just speculating. Actually, that is good, my logbook is behind and it will take me that long to get it caught up!

see ya

Just remember that if we haven't hired by say mid-October. We more than likely won't hire at all for the rest of the year. November and December are sacred around here being our "Peak" time when they say everyone flies.

Sounds like we have like approximately 60 captains retiring this year. That means 60 captain opening hopefully. They haven't filled any of those slots yet. They are hurting on the A300 for crews and also the 747 for Captains.

There is another vacancy bid coming out in a month or two so I would say we would know by March if we were going to do any hiring this year.

roger that

BrownTail

OK thanks. Since I have you on the freq, when hiring resumes will it be "slow trickle" for many years or do you anticipate one or two "big years" for hiring?

I know you can only speculate but your feedback is appreciated

see ya

OK thanks. Since I have you on the freq, when hiring resumes will it be "slow trickle" for many years or do you anticipate one or two "big years" for hiring?

I don't think anyone can answer that question. If you ask a line pilot or the union then we need to hire a couple hundred pilots as of... yesterday!

Trying to figure out this company's next move with regards to hiring is an effort in futility. Line crewmembers don't know, middle managers don't know. The only person that knows is some bean counter deep in the bowels of some basement broom closet at corporate headquarters in Atlanta.

The fact is, we are understaffed and have been for many years. Most Captains that have reached age 60 have gone back to the engineer panel while waiting for the new contract. Once the new contract is in place, and hopefully with a decent retirement package, you'll see a mass exodus from those backseat Capts and hiring will commence.

Anything posted on this board is mere speculation and carries no weight other than someone's personal opinion. The company has stated though that there will be no hiring in 2004. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

My opnion...

..for what it's worth. No hiring in 04 and no contract in 04. The company is scraping by with the pilots we have so they don't see the need to hire. As long as the boxes move, they are happy. I don't see us getting a contract worth voting YES over this year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back