UPS Pilot Contract 2003

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

H25BCPTN

Any chance that UPS might bring up the first year pay for new hires? A lot of great pilots have choosen other companies because it is so tough to live on $2,167.00 a month for that first year. To bring it up any would be a great help.

Thanks,

Fly Safe

:cool:

Yeah they're having a real problem finding pilots! :D

Yea Right!

Put yourself in the shoes of any UPS pilot out there that is not on first year pay. Ask yourself one question: Would you negotiate some of your future earnings in pay and benefits to help out first year pay? Many of us would like to think they would, but reality is they have the attitude " pay sucked when I started and I survived"

Lazyb has a good point. There is no shortage of pilots. $2167 sure does beat unemployment.

Don't get me wrong I am all for better first year pay. I should know my current first year pay falls way below what is required to keep food on the table. But I know next year will be better. I thank God for my current job and pray for you all to finding a good job real soon.

Well back out to my Deer stand I have three tags to fill this month. Glad the family like venison.

United, American, Delta and FedEx just to name a few of the airlines all have increased first year pay to be more competitive with other companies. This downturn we see now will end sometime and the airlines will be trying to be more competitive to hire the best pilots. Case and point, FedEx vs SWA, the pilot has been offered a job with both. Had that been UPS vs SWA, would he go to SWA just for the first year pay. I am not talking about making Captains pay but enough for the company to get the best pilots, not the ones that can take a hugh pay cut.

Fly Safe

:cool:

A few points.

LAZYB is right. There is certainly no problem finding pilots. I've heard there are between 10-15K applications on file.

ByeUSAir has a point. Not many consider it the responsibility of the union to negotiate better pay for new hires, but I don't think many have the attitude of "it sucked for me, so it should suck for you." Most feel it is the company's responsibility to raise it to a more respectable level and that the company should be "embarrassed" by it. I have heard those which say we should make it a point in our negotiations.

H23BCPTN - Anybody that makes the career decision between two polar opposite airlines based on first year pay is not much of a strategic thinker. The type of flying, career earnings potential, lifestyle, etc, etc. couldn't be more distinct. Varsity commuter pilot vs. freight dog.

Not trying to start another SWA vs XYZ, we all have our opinions on that. Just stating the facts.

Cheers, WG

New hire pay will no doubt come up to be more in line with other carriers.

<<Ask yourself one question: Would you negotiate some of your future earnings in pay and benefits to help out first year pay? Many of us would like to think they would, but reality is they have the attitude " pay sucked when I started and I survived" >>

Unfortunately this is the attitude of too many at UPS. Only a few very senior guys run the union and all they care about is getting a retirement funded for years they didn't even work here. They will do this at the expense of the rest of us.

Why would you base a career decision simply based on what you will make the first year? Odds are that you are in it for the long haul. More important are the advancements , multilple year pay scales, company strength, etc.

UPS Newhire pay

Well I have a couple of buds that are now into their 2nd and 3rd year respectively. The 1st year was hard on both of them. They subsidized their pay by being willing to fly anything extra thrown at them. I think its like 26K 1st year. I have heard the number 38K bounced around as the new 1st year pay. I do believe that was offered in a deal management was trying to make to allow non captains as ACOs on the long hauls (it was turned down) This is all rumor 2nd and 3rd hand however.

Also UPS rumor wise (talking to UPS guys at airports on the way to work) New aircraft coming online between 10 and 15 A300s and maybe 5 MD11s. However they will be retiring some more 72s. Again, this is all rumor control, but its nice to hear something positive now and then.

I am fully expecting to hear UPS is going to start hiring sometime next year. They are making money. They do need more pilots.

Good luck to everyone in getting a nice flying job in the New Year (hope I am one of you... remember corporate and living on the beeper isn't that bad, its a flying job!

I think we have more important things to worry about than new hire pay....

UPS will get great canidates when we start hiring again no matter what the pay is. Low first year pay is just something most of us had/have to live with. A few may turn away from UPS some day because of the first year pay but there will be many other guys who are also well qualified who can live with it.

I'm not against raising first year pay but I don't think we should give anything up to get it.

Low first year pay is an insult to the new hire pilot and a disgrace to our pilot group. You don't have to "give something up" to get what you deserve. That's just union speak to cover their butts for being poor negotiators. The myth that you must give something up to get something originated from a simple mind.

Latest resources

Back