UPS Pay structure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GoABX

How do the pilots generally feel about the single pay rate per seat versus per aircraft? Any resentment from the big iron drivers over the 727 guys making the same money?

Does it save on training costs?

I like it, I believe everyone else likes it also. I can get payed the same as a 747 driver in the same seat on a 727. It eliminates all the seat chasing.

As a 727 guy...

I kinda like it...hehe. I'm sure there are some big iron drivers that think it sucks but you don't hear a whole lot about it at the IPA forum. It's gotta save the company a bundle on training costs as guys don't have to chase seats to max out pay. Anyhow...the 727 is slowly on the way out of the picture, which gives heavy iron guys less to complain about. We should be looking forward to raising the bar for everyone in the next contract. I don't think we'll see differential pay, though.

Not hiring

The official word is we aren't hiring. If we were, I'd tell you 1000 PIC turbine and as many UPS pilot letters of recommendation as you can get.

Unlike de727ups I fly the big iron (747) and the same pay rates don't bother us at all. Captains are living quite comfortably I believe. The percentages for the other seats suck. There is a hidden B and C scale here for people on the property less that 8 years. That is one of the things everyone wants changed in the next contract. In fact if it isn't I would guess that a big NO vote would be coming from a majority of the pilot group.

Browntailguy,

Since you are a 747 guy, what is the percentage of your trips are INTL vs domestic? I remember seeing a 747 turn to EWR from SDF, and some PHL-ONT and OAK stuff, but what about ANC and ASIA? Do you like doing that long haul type flying (12 day trips etc.) Just curious, and are the MD-11s taking some of those trips away? And, what A/C will you go to next if they start to get rid of the 747s?

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Life on the Whale,

We are losing much of our flying to the MD-11. It looks like they want the 747 to be a domestic carrier in the future. We will keep Homolulu, Anchorage, and Hong Kong, but that will probably be about it. Rumors of doing Portland, BFI, Dallas, and maybe OAK - PHL are out there.

Life on the whale is great. I prefer the INT'L flying because once you are on the road the company doesn't screw with you as much. Face it there are only so many airports we can go into, whereas the 757, A300, DC8, and 727 can get rescheduled whenever.

The long flights are tiresome but you generally get a long layover when you get overseas so it isn't bad.

When and if I have to leave the whale I would probably like to go to the MD11 or 757/767 INTL since I enjoy the INTL flying.

Thanks. Are your 747's 100 series (3 windows on the upperdeck), or do you have 200's? And, would you consider flying the A300 to South America from MIA (do you have a base in MIA for that?)? I have talked to many ex MD-11 guys here at DL and they did not like flying it. Maybe the 767 would be better for you on those INTL flights.....Take care and thanks again.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back