UPS or CONTINENTAL AIRLINES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingFree

Can any one that currently flys for UPS give some insight to what the flying is really like at UPS if one was to commute. I have opportunities with both airlines. I am very familiar with the passenger side but was curious what it is like to be a commuter for UPS and maintain some sort of family life.

I'd go with UPS. Since 9-11, UPS has had it's most profitable era. They make $4 BILLION a year in profit!!! My buddies over there tell me there is a VERY good chance of a newhire getting the right seat of the MD-11 flying international! CAL on the other hand is on very shaky finacial ground. There is a very high probability that I will be flying the EMB 170 and hopefully the 190 for them in the near future.

Did your friends also tell you that the MD-11 slot would probably also be ANC based?

As far as flying the 170 for CAL, scope won't allow it. Nothing bigger than 50 seat jets and no seat limit on props. Why would you want to fly large RJs for a major and take away jobs there? Is CHQ really that good to stay until you hit 60?

I love flying the EMB and would be happy to retire at a great company like CHQ. CAL will eventually cave in on scope and we will be flying 170s and hopefully 190s for them as they retire the 737-500s.

GuppyKiller said:
I love flying the EMB and would be happy to retire at a great company like CHQ. CAL will eventually cave in on scope and we will be flying 170s and hopefully 190s for them as they retire the 737-500s.

You should definately tell the next CAL pilot your sentiments face-to-face.

Not just my sentiments, it's a fact! CAL will have to cave on scope in order to get things they want in their next contract, like more money and keep thier precious pension.

FO 4 Life, Pilotkppsg and Junkflyer,

Ignore Guppykiller, Rhoid, Lucyfurr, Out, 410 Dude and many other alter egos this parasite has. All his posts are flamebait. Don't bite!!

Mods, please ban him once & for all!!

I appreciate the comments regarding CAL and the 190 & 170 but its not relevant to my question. I know what the scope at CAL is and Im not worried about CHQ moving in. What I would like to know is how the flying at UPS is as a commuter to one of the bases (except for ANC) I know about that as well. I have several friends at UPS and many at CAL but the guys at UPS all live in the Base so they cant really explain what commuting for a night job is like!

My husband cummutes from a city in the midwest to SDF. He is on reserve. He catches a UPS flight that leaves around 10PM. He has to leave a day early to do that so he doesn't have to take his chnaces jumpseating commerically. When he returns he usually gets done a 12N and catches a 2PM UPS flight. So far he has never had a problem. Hope that helps ya.

Latest resources

Back