UPS ONT Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

P-47

Since the base lock seems to be in play for the first year. Can any UPS pilot shed some light on the schedules in ONT? How long on reserve? Crash pads available? what areas of ONT to stay away from? Commute from SDF? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P47

P-47 said:
Since the base lock seems to be in play for the first year. Can any UPS pilot shed some light on the schedules in ONT? How long on reserve? Crash pads available? what areas of ONT to stay away from? Commute from SDF? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P47
Schedules: Mix of domestic and international Pac Rim with some Hawaii thrown in. The normal week long night sort trips suck. Reserve: Normal times you wouldn't be able to hold reserve because it goes so senior. Right now because of contract negotiations reserve is junior. You will be able to hold a line when we get a contract. I think there might be some crashpads but I'm not the person to ask because I live here. Commuting from SDF could suck because the jumpseats from SDF to ONT are usually full of Priority 3 jumpseaters on company business.

Did you get based here or are you just concerned?

P-47 said:

P47

Having grown up in ONT I would say stay away from the entire city. Just as a thought I would suggest you head toward the mountains i.e. Rancho, Upland or somewhere very close to those two cities... Now dont let this discourage you in any way! Hmm, if you decide to make the move over to the I.E. drop either of us a line and we can sure help you out!

Take care!

-B

Stan, Just concerned ,I know some guys have recently been based there. Is ONT a Z domicile, I think that is what they call it for straight international. It sounds like they mix dom. with international?

P-47 said:
Stan, Just concerned ,I know some guys have recently been based there. Is ONT a Z domicile, I think that is what they call it for straight international. It sounds like they mix dom. with international?

ONT is mostly domestic. It has about 10-15 lines of international flying. Those go very senior.

The newhire classes in June will have at least 10 guys going to ONT.

I'v heard good things about Glendora also. If you want to make a little drive the high desert isn't bad.

Chino Hills, Corona, and Corona Hills aren't bad. It's more more towards the OC, rather than IE, but they aren't too far away. 30 min tops.

I still think some of the reserve is junior. With the way the lines suck so bad, you see hard lines going more and more junior than they used to, but I still think just about anyone could get reserve if they wanted it. If your a commuter, though, reserve would be pretty bad. It all depends on what you want, I guess. A junior hard line will have a couple more days a month off, maybe, but you'll work your butt off. Reserve, you'll have a couple more days away from home if you're a commuter but I don't think you'll get beat up as bad, even with the current state of unpleasantness. Pac Rim is very senior but can be had off of VTO's, sort of a secondary bid. Still, they seem to go higher than mid-level seniority, as guys have figured it out.

I'd stay away from ONT unless you have no choice or you live west of DEN. It would be dumb to live in SDF and commute to ONT, never even heard of that. If you want to live within 1.5 hours of ONT, being based there and bidding reserve seems like it would be a pretty good deal.

ONT is a nice little base. I was just thinking a couple of days ago how nice it is being able to walk from the parking lot to ops. People are pretty friendly and things go smoother than in SDF.

Just my opinion...

When I was on active duty at KSBD I used to live in Yucaipa, couple of exits past Redlands. Loved it there. Up out of the smog and quiet. About 45 min to ONT back then; no traffic of course.

Unit

For those of us with apps in, any idea on progress with the new contract? At the WAI convention a couple of months ago they said "2 weeks to 6 months"

I'm a west coaster at heart so thanks for the info on ONT.

Latest resources

Back