UPS MD11 domicile question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a jet pilot and I don't get it either, please explain. Thanks

Perrone announced they can only make 50 jackets or so a month, so that being said it’ll take some time to make new jackets for 3,000 pilots – since they do it by seniority it’ll be a while for a new hire to get his/her. That's ok, it's a nice jacket (it's basically same as SWA jacket but it's dark brown) and it's free, I don't mind waiting!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Brown cow, based on what you said, I assume there’s a plan to have an MD11 domicile in SDF even in the future, am I correct? Do you think that someone who by the summer will have ~ 12 months seniority will be able to hold it or will he/she get displaced to ANC?

The word is that MD-11 SDF will reverse the numbers, ie. 225 FO's and about 160 Capt's. And ANC is to grow to about 200 Capt"s and I figure around 280 FO's or so

So that’s good news for SDF MD11 fos right? (not so good for captains I guess)

Sorry about the numerous questions, trying to make some decisions for the near future. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm a jet pilot and I don't get it either, please explain. Thanks

Perrone announced they can only make 50 jackets or so a month, so that being said it’ll take some time to make new jackets for 3,000 pilots – since they do it by seniority it’ll be a while for a new hire to get his/her. That's ok, it's a nice jacket (it's basically same as SWA jacket but it's dark brown) and it's free, I don't mind waiting!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Brown cow, based on what you said, I assume there’s a plan to have an MD11 domicile in SDF even in the future, am I correct? Do you think that someone who by the summer will have ~ 12 months seniority will be able to hold it or will he/she get displaced to ANC?

The word is that MD-11 SDF will reverse the numbers, ie. 225 FO's and about 160 Capt's. And ANC is to grow to about 200 Capt"s and I figure around 280 FO's or so

So that’s good news for SDF MD11 fos right? (not so good for captains I guess)

Sorry about the numerous questions, trying to make some decisions for the near future. Thanks.
My guess... the MD-11 pilots assigned to the SDF domicile after '07 will be pretty senior (10+ years seniority... my guess only.) If you want SDF bid something else while you are junior. On the other hand, I believe we'll see 3-4 yr seniority captains in ANC before too long (<2yrs.) Nice opportunity to make the big bucks while being very junior if you can handle ANC. I know Mega's pretty tempted to support her fiance in the great frigid north! :D

BBB

What are the trips like on the MD?

I'd imagine long.

Psysicx - weren't you just trying to get hired by a guard unit and just guard bum the next 20 years of your life, i.e. live the life of luxury making 30K a year as a traditional with no full time health insurance? I thought you had the guard bum deal all planned out. Why the sudden interest in change of plans? LOL

I'd imagine long.

Psysicx - weren't you just trying to get hired by a guard unit and just guard bum the next 20 years of your life, i.e. live the life of luxury making 30K a year as a traditional with no full time health insurance? I thought you had the guard bum deal all planned out. Why the sudden interest in change of plans? LOL

What's the QOL of a guard bum? Any west coast bases? How long to upgrade?

My guess... the MD-11 pilots assigned to the SDF domicile after '07 will be pretty senior (10+ years seniority... my guess only.) If you want SDF bid something else while you are junior.

Thanks for the reply BBB. You really think you'll need 10 year seniority to hold MD11 SDF FO after 2007? Why such dramatic shift? Right now, being a new guy, I'd be more senior on MD11 SDF than "Z" or even ONT. (according to IPA's "seniority tool")

Last edited:
No, BBB is referring to Captains. There will always be an MD base in SDF. And the numbers will always be up there. Europe (including) the middle East will be much easier served by planes flying out of SDF rather than ANC. Everyone seems to think that ANC is the new thing. Well in a way, it is, but the square footage of the sort facility in SDF is probably more than the combined size of every building on the ANC airport. ANC was only done because of crew efficiency.

However, AV80R if you want to bid MD-11 SDF remember that you really can't be displaced after your first year. There may be a little play with the last few on the list, but for the most part fleets are growing and the required number of FO's is going up. The MD is the way of the future, the way of the future, the way of the future (couldn't resist). UPS will have just shy of 40 airplanes (????) within short course and they aren't all going to ANC. My prediction........SDF MD- 180/250, ANC MD- 220/300. Finally, if you look at the shifts and changes in the fleet seniority lists, there really isn't a lot of movement. What this means, is that when somebody upgrades at UPS from the panel to the front, they pretty much stay in that fleet/seat for a while. Very few move around from fleet to fleet after their intital upgrade. There is a little back and forth from Z to MD, but for the most part people sit tight. Bottom line, if you bid the MD, and you are # 180, chances are that won't change much unless there are upgrades, but you will never go back all too many. If you consider that there will be more 767 flying in Europe and every 767 going over the Atlantic is essentially stuffed, the MD will be big and beautiful for a long time in SDF. Finally, they are still short about 60 FO's on the MD in SDF.

What's the QOL of a guard bum? Any west coast bases? How long to upgrade?

Rhoid...more screen names and avatars than chins in a chinese phone book.... How's the brain damage goin??

No, BBB is referring to Captains. There will always be an MD base in SDF. And the numbers will always be up there.

- I see, thank you for the clarification, it makes more sense now.

However, AV80R if you want to bid MD-11 SDF remember that you really can't be displaced after your first year.

Can’t? You mean I probably wouldn’t be - right? Surely they can display me anytime they need more ANC pilots? Are you saying that if I get the MD11 in SDF as an FO I would be pretty safe from getting displaced to ANC even though I'll only have a whopping ;) ~ 12 months seniority worth under my belt?

If I understand you correctly, if I bid the MD11 in SDF as a junior guy it sounds like I’ll be at the bottom of the lists for long time to come. However, I heard they use reserves on the Mad Dog a lot so in effect I’d be flying all the time as if I had a hard line, right?

Since the MD11 ANC will be the most junior captain domicile for quite some time maybe flying the MD11 out of SDF for 5-6 years, or whatever time it takes to get in the first Captain upgrade available, would be a good way to get used to the airplane and the trips it flies?

Thanks to everyone for y’alls inputs, really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I'm hearing that "Z" flying has much more domestic trips now and if so MD11 SDF sounds like a great choice for someone who prefers international over domestic.

I don't think that is true about Z. We had our normal upsurge during peak, but that is all. In fact, we'll be getting a lot more intra europe and even some rumored South America-Europe trips as the year goes on

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back