• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS in Talks With TNT Over $15 Billion Takeover

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It does in ways that you will soon find out...and those of you saliting at the extra flying due the demise of DHL, and the prospect of other flying at TNT will be sorely disappointed..the "freight nazis" is a well deserved nickname for you bunch...

It does in ways that you will soon find out...and those of you saliting at the extra flying due the demise of DHL, and the prospect of other flying at TNT will be sorely disappointed..the "freight nazis" is a well deserved nickname for you bunch...

You are a very angry little man. "Freight nazis" - that's a good one. Did you just make that up?

Listen up here, other than the flaimbaters, the VAST MAJORITY of UPS pilots are not "saliting" (whatever that means!) over the demise of ABX/ASTAR. I've been there before - it sucks. I wish them the best. I personally don't think the UPS/DHL deal is going to happen, but I do worry that if it doesn't happen, that those guys are still out of luck. I hope I'm wrong.

As for TNT, do you see anyone "saliting" over flying? What I saw is people posting articles on the RUMOR that they are in talks. If you have been following along in the past couple of months, you would see that this rumor had FedEx attached to it. Now it is again UPS. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe someone that has an interest in TNT is dropping these rumors to make the stock surge? Again, I don't see this happening either.

So, oh masterful one, what will we soon find out? Let us "nazis" in on some info... :rolleyes:

First of all, I wish both TNT and UPS the best of luck integrating; both are essentially trucking companies with an airline attached. TNT is very weak in the US, and UPS are likewise weak in Europe. Furthermore, operating night flights out of CGN does not sit well with the Germans, and curfews are getting stricter. LGG, on the other hand, is much more accomodating.

However
We already fly witin the EU. These flights will increase as Open Skies agreements are amended.

A few words about Open Skies. What we're witnessing now is basically the US getting what the have wanted for many years, namely access to LHR. The second phase of Open Skies will mean that the US will have to open up much more than it is today, including easing the restrictions of foreign ownership of US registered carriers, and allowing EU registered carries flying domestically in the US, same way US carriers are flying "domestically" in the EU. Yes, I do appreciate the EU is not a country, but from a commercial point of view it is a single entity - also when aviation is concerned. Present law allows any EU based carrier setting up shop anywhere in the EU; i.e. a German carrier could launch a Spanish based airline.

Now, there is every reason to belive phase 2 of open skies will be met with tremendous resistance in the US Congress and Senate. And, from their point of view, with good reason. The top-3 airlines in the EU (AF/KL, LH and BA) are all reporting profits and are offering products, on their intercontinental networks, far superior to that of the top-3 US carriers. I cannot imagine US lawmakers opening up their skies to EU carriers in the present market.

However, there is a clause in the Open Skies agreement saying something along the lines of "if phase 2 is not implemented, the whole deal is off". That would mean the end of US registered carriers flying "domestic" in the EU, and LHR would go back to Bermuda II again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back