UPS Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still Swimming

I hit my one year mark in the pool at Brown. Should I just dry off and throw in the towl? What do you UPS folks think.

Poolies, are you still out there my water logged companions?

bohnzai said:
I hit my one year mark in the pool at Brown. Should I just dry off and throw in the towl? What do you UPS folks think.

Being a UPS pilot ... ah, the best I can say is it is a good job working for a scumbag company.

The backwards management and hostile work atmosphere thing gets old ... so old that I'd encourage you to look at SWA or FedEx (faster advancement at Fred at least).

bohnzai said:

Poolies, are you still out there my water logged companions?

Bohnzai--Some free advice. Remember you get what you pay for.

1. Don't pass up or decide to not pursue any other opportunities.
2. If you have not, call HR. Don't be afraid to professionally advocate for yourself. If you have not already done this you should call and politely explain that you have been in the pool for over a year and have not heard anything. Ask for an update in your status. It is a reasonable request and reprehensible that they have not contacted you.
3. Have any contacts you know at UPS do the same on your behalf.
4. Be ready to come ASAP if they call you for the medical.

The FAA just sent the IPA another letter totally blasting the IPA and supporting UPS regarding the jumseat fiasco. Instead of keeping the "eye on the ball" many line guys have gotten wrapped up in denying access to the jumpseat to pilots being repositioned by UPS. There was a huge spike in the number of denials in Dec 05. These same line guys were not doing this previously. It was a way for them to pressure the company but it backfired big time. Now these same line guys are pressuring the IPA to ensure the contract includes languague eliminating mandatory jumpseats in exchange for commercial tickets.

It's not complicated. We have leverage over UPS as long as we are patient. WE should insist on an industry co-leading contract which puts us on par or slightly better than FedEx. FDX 2d year pay for 727 is 96 and widebody is 117. Current UPS rates are 76 for all airframes and we are a widebody airline for the most part. The rest of the FO payscale is similarly scewed. But instead of focusing on that and the retirement and other important issues, we are all bitching about jumpseats. Jumpseats are not among the most important issues, but we should still be able to eliminate the jumpseat matrix in negotiations.

GVFlyer said:
All I was trying to say is that FedEx is going to hire more pilots this year so your chances are better there. GV

I don't necessarily agree. I did the ACP pow-wow with FedEx (supposedly he put my stuff in the "must interview" pile and had me corresponding with him every month) and sucking up at job fairs and NOTHING.

xjlifer said:
Is this guy just a total flame bait poster or what???

I think so.

He/she is probably a UPS line pilot being sarcastic. That would be my guess.

I did the ACP pow-wow with FedEx (supposedly he put my stuff in the "must interview" pile and had me corresponding with him every month) and sucking up at job fairs and NOTHING.

It took me 8 months from my ACP pow-wow to the call for an interview. I'm not sure how long you've waited, but it can be a very long time from meet and greet to interview call. (Some guys have waited a full year)

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Bohnzai--Some free advice. Remember you get what you pay for.

1. Don't pass up or decide to not pursue any other opportunities.
2. If you have not, call HR. Don't be afraid to professionally advocate for yourself. If you have not already done this you should call and politely explain that you have been in the pool for over a year and have not heard anything. Ask for an update in your status. It is a reasonable request and reprehensible that they have not contacted you.
3. Have any contacts you know at UPS do the same on your behalf.
4. Be ready to come ASAP if they call you for the medical.

Thanks for the advice. Over the past year I have done all of the above and more. In fact, I've used Number 3 a few times in the last month or so. And as for number 4, I've been spring loaded and ready for a year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back