• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS high speen departure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 747s need to climb out at V2+100 in order to make 30 degree bank turns when clean (flaps up). At the heavier weights this is always above 250kts.

Max takeoff in the Md11 has a min clean speed of about 280. While I agree with the class c comment in Germany many of the sids specifically say max 250 below 10. Often this can be waved but lately some of the controllers do not accept operational needs such as min maneuvering speed, but rather it has to be safety reasons.....They informed our company that min maneuvering speed did not fall into the safety category, and if we play that card to be prepared to fill out paper work justifying it. That was in Leipzig.

Max takeoff in the Md11 has a min clean speed of about 280. While I agree with the class c comment in Germany many of the sids specifically say max 250 below 10. Often this can be waved but lately some of the controllers do not accept operational needs such as min maneuvering speed, but rather it has to be safety reasons.....They informed our company that min maneuvering speed did not fall into the safety category, and if we play that card to be prepared to fill out paper work justifying it. That was in Leipzig.

Tnaks You!

Only once I was I denied permission to exceed 250 below 10K. It was in EWR. I just had to climb out with flaps 5 to 10K.

Bigsky you are correct about Leipzig I have never been there but it is class D. Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Munich etc are class C.

In the U.S. you don't have to ask permission to exceed 250 on departure if you need it; however its couteous to advise them, but on the other side, ATC can tell you to maintain 250 or less and you must comply unless there is an emergency.
Leipzig is fairly strict on the 250 below 10.

both the "heavy's" I've flown will normally climb at 280-290 KIAS once clean to maintain 1.3G / 30 degrees bank ability.. the L1011 I've only jumpseated on but if those were heavy, they'd climb at well over 330.. ATC just has to deal with it and they learn to expect it.

It may have been an Evergreen bird flying UPS for peak. In that case if it was close to max gross, 283 kts would have been the flap retract speed with 30 degrees of bank protection. Target climb speed would have been 330 kts. That's allot of smash.

There may be something in UPS's manual that requires them to advise ATC of the need for a high speed climb to get to a clean wing below 10K...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back