ups/fedex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
needapayraise said:
I thank god every day that UPS is NOT an airline and has the means to pay us well and I also thank god for the unity of the IPA that will make those 40% pay raises, and other increases that some pilots can't stand, possible.
Amen to that!

As one of the sweaty check haulers darning his socks (albeit having enough time to post here), just let me say thanks for raising the bar and go get em! To borrow a tired but accurate old aphorism "You don't get paid what you deserve, you get paid what you negotiate." I, for one, am not going to waste my time explaining to anyone that I don't want to get rich, just comfortable. Think what you like, I want a raise, and what's good for the guys in brown will eventually be good for me too (and you, it turns out).

Regards,
Boris

PS. Anyone know anything about the mechanics? It's pretty embarrassing when all we can do is pursefight in totally unrelated threads.

According to the UPSjobs website, UPS is not currently recruiting mechanics. BTW Boris, My first job was flying cancelled checks, so hang in there and good things will happen!

av8er23 said:
I simply think that it is lots more unfair for the regionals to pay a five year guy 30k than it is for ups to pay a five year guy what he makes and for him to complain about it.

Then Fu#*ing quit and go to med school. If you don't like working for 30K a year, then don't do it. Or negotiate a better contract. But, I'm sure you can't b/c there's a ton of other dudes ready, willing, and able to take your job for even less than what you're willing to work for.

its not 30/year its 26/year.

"Or negotiate a better contract. But, I'm sure you can't..."

what makes you so sure?

johnny

Deuce130 said:
Then Fu#*ing quit and go to med school. If you don't like working for 30K a year, then don't do it. Or negotiate a better contract. But, I'm sure you can't b/c there's a ton of other dudes ready, willing, and able to take your job for even less than what you're willing to work for.

Sorry, I can't stand that "f'n quit then" mentality. I hear that so much, how about grow a pair and stand up and fight for something you believe in. You are a fool for not supporting any company that is trying to raise the bar for ALL of us. I hope the UPS guys get every penny they deserve.

Most regionals by the way pay much more than $30K/yr after 5 years. I am a 5th year guy and I clear a little better than $70K/yr. Which by the way sucks. I know high school drop outs that make much more than I do.

Last edited:
av8er23 said:
Dude, the guy is a five year F/O and makes just under 100,000. I think he has issues with money managment. Does he think he is going to get pay cuts soon? His pay will continue to go up and top 200,000 one day. Or hopefully he will get so fed up, quit and let me take his place. I will be very thankfull if i were working with one of the top three majors in the industry.

First and foremost, I too am a 5th year f/o, and my YTD earnings with international override is around $104,000.00

Good money? You bet, I am not going to say it is poverty wages. Would I be happy with more money? Absolutely, who is going to turn down more compensation, especially when your employer has the ability to pay you more.

av8er23,

Not unlike anyone else, I paid my dues. I'm not going to write an autobiography, but I carried school loans for almost 10 years before paying them off (finally) and what I make in 1 year is roughly equivalent to what I made in the 5 years between college and date of hire.

As I have said in the past, you don't make what you are worth, but you make what you can negotiate for. $100K is a lot of money compared to $40K I made as a DA-20 captain, but overall it isn't hitting the jackpot. After taxes, you are lucky to keep $70K of it. Factor in cost of living expenses, and that does not equate to whole lot of money. Maybe it did in 1984, but not in today's dollars. And before you ask, I will tell you that I too live below my means, carry a mortgage, and pay cash for everything else, so I am not your "typical" ferrari-driving yacht-sailing guys.

I made the decision to come here, so I am not going to give you a bleeding-heart story of how hard the night-freight scene is, how multiple time-zone changes around the world affect you, or what a 14-day trip is like. I will say this much: I like what I do, but I would not do it for any less than what I am currently doing it for now. We are profitable, the company is willing to give us a raise, and we are setting our goals and expectations higher, not lower.

If you think we make too much money right now, then stay away. I wouldn't want you to be unhappy, and I definitely would not want you negotiating on my behalf.

135fr8r said:
Why would I want your job? So I can wear that crappy brown uniform that makes you look like a bellman at the Hilton? If you are that ignorant to not know the solution to your problem, maybe I can help.

FU***ING QUIT AND GO TO MED SCHOOL

As long as UPS is paying for my uniforms 100%, they can pinstripe it with gold for all I care. Heck, for the right amount of money I'll even do a little dance on my way up the stairs to the airplane.

By the way, that 100% also includes new uniform pieces annually, suitcase, and brain-bag.

Why would I want your job?

You wouldn't. They make you wear brown.

135fr8r said:
I'm far from miserable....lol. I have a 4 minute drive to work, and am home most evenings/nights which means my kids actually have a "daddy". I drive a late model truck, I'm still paying for school, have all the bills most have plus some, and I don't make 94K per year. I fly newer equipment than he does, fly for a Fortune 300 Corporation, and average 600 hrs per year which is considered very high for part 91. Am I bitter? Not at all. I know things could be much better paywise, but I'm happy as Hell to have a job right now. This guy is a 5 year F/O for God's sake, and you want me to feel sorry for him? I think not!!! Maybe the two of you should get together and make out, and maybe just hold one another for a little while as you reassure one another things will be ok. Is this guy going to be pitching a fit when he's making over 200K as a Captain someday? He knew what he was getting into when he took the job for $27.00 per hour for first year pay.

I have a 4 minute drive to work, and am home most evenings/nights which means my kids actually have a "daddy".

I have a 20-minute drive to work, so you have me beat. However, I make the drive about twice a month. You are home most evenings and nights, and I think we are even there. I sat reserve for an entire bid period this fall, and I flew once, and it was an afternoon turn. I got bored being home for two months straight.

I don't have kids, so "daddy" is irrelevant.

I drive a late model truck, I'm still paying for school, have all the bills most have plus some, and I don't make 94K per year.

Does your late model truck have a payment that goes along with it each month? Mine is a 2001 F-150, completely paid for, no consumer debt, and 12 years left on a 15 year mortgage. Because people ahead of me negotiated by placing their goals and objectives higher and not lower, I am able to live like this. BTW, I have flown 170 hours this year.

I fly newer equipment than he does,

Oh no, not the shiny new jet syndrome again. Your's is newer, mine is bigger. (no pun intended)

fly for a Fortune 300 Corporation,

I fly for big corporation too.

Am I bitter? Not at all.

I would say slightly, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I know things could be much better paywise, but I'm happy as Hell to have a job right now.

And you should be. I know several corporate pilots, and they all have one thing in common: multiple-page resumes.

This guy is a 5 year F/O for God's sake, and you want me to feel sorry for him? I think not!!!

Nobody wants anybody to feel sorry for anyone. I don't why you think that.

Maybe the two of you should get together and make out, and maybe just hold one another for a little while as you reassure one another things will be ok.

I thought you said you weren't bitter.

Is this guy going to be pitching a fit when he's making over 200K as a Captain someday?

If he is, wouldn't you agree that it is a nice problem to be pitching a fit over?

Last edited:
rattler said:
Sorry, I can't stand that "f'n quit then" mentality. I hear that so much, how about grow a pair and stand up and fight for something you believe in. You are a fool for not supporting any company that is trying to raise the bar for ALL of us. I hope the UPS guys get every penny they deserve.

Most regionals by the way pay much more than $30K/yr after 5 years. I am a 5th year guy and I clear a little better than $70K/yr. Which by the way sucks. I know high school drop outs that make much more than I do.

You got the wrong guy, I was quoting the other guy and making a point about his prior post. I'm all for UPS making a gazillion dollars, hopefully it will rub off on the rest of us.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back