Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS CLASS DATE MARCH 14th ?-any calls?-any new dates in the future?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMB145 PILOT

Anyone get calls yet for the March14th class-quick post would be fine!-if u did please tell me interview date and did u get a conditionla offer etc-thanks in advance -UPS Dreamer

hey guys the training center is maxed out due to ups's lack of hiring and training . so between the upgrades and transition and new hires, it is going to be a very slow process. just look at our contract, 28 months and still not even close. things happen very slowwwww around here.

emb145, hang in there because the word is if ups could handle the training they would hire 1000 more, so you are getting in front of huge wave and hopefully that means a quicker up grade 4 u

As emb145 and afpa I have been waiting years for this to happen, that is getting the interview and getting in the pool. Just ready to get in going, you know?

Not to be caustic or anything, but I do have a question. How can a company who has hired only about 24 people in the last 4 years have their training center maxed out? I understand recurrent training and such, but certainly you guys have to be able to hire enough instructors to train more than 12 new hires a month. What is the deal with that?

Falconjet said:
Not to be caustic or anything, but I do have a question. How can a company who has hired only about 24 people in the last 4 years have their training center maxed out? I understand recurrent training and such, but certainly you guys have to be able to hire enough instructors to train more than 12 new hires a month. What is the deal with that?

First, it is my opinion only, but I do not agree with a previous poster that UPS would hire 1000 this year if they could just train them.

As far as training ... Falcon, since your profile lists you as an FE, all this airline stuff is no doubt confusing to you. Contrary to your assertion, an (any) airline training center is not limited by their ability or inability to "hire enough instructors". (That one made me chuckle though. <g>) The limiting factor is always simulators, from a strictly training pipeline standpoint.

AQP (recurrent) generates a significant normal demand, plus new captain 6-mos PC's ... but the real avalanche associated with new hires is all the upgrade and transition (fleet to fleet sideways movement) that is created for the pilots already on the property. With one large bid already closed and a rumored 2 more substantial bids this year, these 3 bids could create 600 - 1000 long-term training events. Essentially up to 1/3 of UPS's pilots could be in an 8-week training event. From a company standpoint, all this training of previously fully qualified pilots is costly and "unproductive".

Now, add in the simulator demand that 300 new hires (long-term training events) place on the system and you can begin to understand that adding a few hundred new hires is a bit more involved than simply "hiring enough instructors". Bottom line at any airline (including FedEx) is the wave of upgrade/transition training (specifically simulator) for the pilots already on the property which is linked to adding new hires.

Finally, UPS runs a notoriously lean operation. We are chronically short on pilots and training capacity during the most stable of times. The IPA has cautioned UPS for years that they need to hire in order to avoid the "near crisis" in pilot manning in which they currently find themselves. They are walking a tightrope to absolutely maximize their training ability (24/7 simulator operation) and still keep the fleets manned. Unfortunately, I believe contract talks have had a bearing on their manning choices ... to their current detriment. Talks or not, they now MUST hire to staff acft acquisitions/expansion. The 1000 pilot need is real, but will be over several years, IMO.

BBB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back