UPS Cargo/Pax Conversion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AceCrackshot

Does anyone know about the short lived UPS idea for pax conversions of cargo aircraft for daytime flying? A captain and I were discussing it the other day. Was the whole thing just a circle jerk, or were there actual plans?

How were they going to do ticketing, or where would the lavs and galleys be on the RO/RO conversion?

Just curious

UPS had a few 727's that they converted to pax charter for the weekend. I used to see them in PHL, kinda not normal to see a UPS bird on a jetway. However, this ended some time in the late 90's or early 00's. I'm pretty sure they were out of the pax stuff by 9/11. I know a 727 capt that went to GS for the pax but never flew a pax trip.

PAX

Actually it ended sometime the end of 00 or the begining of 01. All the -200 were convertable with the use of conversion modules. Actually, if you were inside of one, youd never know the difference between the converted UPS model and say AA or DAL. The lavs are still in the AC. We have to go some place too... lol There is one lav in the front that we still use and two in the back, secured shut. It was a profitable venture for UPS, Most flights were full, all the time. however I think UPS decided the profit margins were to small for the work that it took to keep the thing running.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back