• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS and college degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That was then and today is now. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I honestly think....and please correct me if I am wrong....that TODAY the only way you are going to get hired without a degree is if you have A TON of heavy jet, international time. RJ drivers can forget it. IMO but what do I know?

just quoting 'Dumb and Dumber' when Jim Carey asks the women he likes if there is a chance and she said, something about a million in one chance of dating her, so he says, "so you are saying there is a chance", blah, blah, blah

Just get the degree. You'll have an exponentially greater chance. Furthermore, and more importantly, you'll enrich yourself.

I must say, I disagree with some of what has been said often on this subject, which is: "Just get a degree in anything...basketweaving, art, or something simple...it doesn't matter, you just need to fill the square." That's all horse$hit.

If you're going to go through the sacrifice and effort of attaining a degree in higher education, make it something that will benefit you in life. You have decided to be a professional pilot? How about a degree in something AVIATION RELATED? I did.

That said, at least get it in something that can improve your life...such as Business, Finance, Communications, etc. I don't know. But I do know that there are a thousand better ways to spend your time and hard earned dollars than by wasting it on some useless degree program. Do yourself a favor.

We've got a guy who bought an online degree and is quite proud of it. Even told his Grandma he graduated from college. They are out there, complete with transcipts and diplomas.

If you're going to go through the sacrifice and effort of attaining a degree in higher education, make it something that will benefit you in life. You have decided to be a professional pilot? How about a degree in something AVIATION RELATED? I did.

That said, at least get it in something that can improve your life...such as Business, Finance, Communications, etc. I don't know. But I do know that there are a thousand better ways to spend your time and hard earned dollars than by wasting it on some useless degree program. Do yourself a favor.

I agree although I would stay away from the Aviation Management degree. I would get a degree you can use for a back up in case you lose your medical or something like that. I have a degree in nursing and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Get the degree, but most of all, have a good network of contacts with the company or companies you have in your sights. You can have the degree, but with no contacts your in with all the applicants. A few good contacts, your file may rise to the 'give this one a look' pile and in some cases without a degree.

I agree although I would stay away from the Aviation Management degree. I would get a degree you can use for a back up in case you lose your medical or something like that. I have a degree in nursing and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Excellent point. 50% of the time, I regret getting an aviation degree, because I know that if I ever lose my medical, I'll be working at Burger King.

That said, I can tell you this: All of my college academic training with aviation has been very useful over my career. I leared much more about aviation with my Aeronauctical Science degree academically, than I ever did in the Air Force. I put all my eggs in one basket, but so far, it has paid off.

I know several who went over to brown in 1999-2000 simply because they didn't have a degree. There were a couple of new hires this year (I know of) with no degree. One ended up in the back of an 8 and the other I'm not sure.

I have a post graduate degree and it hasn't ever done d**k for me. I would trade it for the money I spent in a heartbeat. Not to mention a UPS'er over there on the 76 with a GED which is making more money than I ever will. That sorry ****** will send be a Christmas card here a in a couple of months to rub my nose in it.

Latest resources

Back