Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS, ABX, FEDEX, or commute to SWA at MDW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OUT said:
But he's military. He's entitled to go strait to the majors and bypass the regionals like us civilian types are.

Out--
Yeah, but everyone has the opportunity to serve in the military...oh wait, sorry. I realize this is flame bait. But I have to say that now is not the time to be attacking the credentials of an F-16 pilot. There is no conversion time for combat! Everyone getting hired at UPS is extremely well-qualified regardless of where they are coming from.

OUT said:
But he's military. He's entitled to go strait to the majors and bypass the regionals like us civilian types are.

I never understood this type of attitude. I highly respect the experience many civilian guys obtained hauling checks in under-equiped aircraft in the middle of winter or flying 10 legs a day for years at the regionals.

Why dont military guys get the same respect in return for being qualified in the left seat of a 4 engine jet flying halfway around the world and back or flying a single seat, putting bombs on target in combat? Not to mention the 1st class training you cant buy anywhwere.

There is all sorts of great experience out there, guys. Quantity of time isnt everything.

I know it was flamebate. Just my 2 cents.

There is all sorts of great experience out there, guys. Quantity of time isnt everything.

you mean 4000 hours flying a SF340 from DFW to ABI back and forth is not twice as valuable as 2000 hours flying KC-135's around the world, some of it in war zones

say it isn't so

OUT said:

Good job Mr. Flamebait.

Don't take the bait folks. Don't turn this thread into a Mil vs. all civilian thread.

We all know people, all civilian, who didn't work at the regionals. They flew corporate or cargo. Just becuase you chose the regional route doesn't mean everyone should. And military folks who look down on civilian pilots are myopic as well.

We all have to meet the mins for the application at our airlines. If you can differential yourself with interesting stories of "there I was" the time looks more valuable. Fighter guys and gals, in particular, look good with low hours because--

1) They fly short sorties and plan and debrief them to death. And they vary in detail almost every flight.

2) They were at the top of their class to get fighters. Known quantity of sharp airmen. All could be check airman and they learn quickly.

Last edited:
OUT said:

please...Please...PLEASE ....don't let that attitude show itself during your interview...

No...wait...on second thought....let it come out....I'm quite sure thats exactly what the company recruiters want to hear....yeah, thats the ticket...they really like those kinds of opinions. Be honest with them...

Tejas

Reread your request for info. It did say any and all info would be appreciated....

I recommend you look at these companies like an investor. ABX is not a company I would go work for. Growth opportunities look poor. They are at the whim of DHL. They will be played against Astar.

UPS and FedEx look good to me. But cargo always looks stable to me. You need to like to be out on the road 4-5 days at time on the Boeing and 8 days on MD-11. Growth looks good and your time on reserve, in the Boeing, should be short. You are making a bet that DHL/Astar won't hurt UPS or FedEX. . You are also betting the mail contract stays at FedEx. I think those are safe bets.

SWA looks good but I would not disregard Airtran or JetBlue either. JetBlue, I hear, is mostly a commuter airline. Will Airtran get another domicile with all the planes coming in? I wouldn't be surprised.

Commute options are critical here. Some claim they hate to commute, yet they continue to do it. Must not be that bad. SWA has best commute for you here. Even if you work for Airtran or JetBlue you can still commute on SWA planes fairly painlessly. Load factors out of the place you want to commute out of are crucial. SWA has a good commute policy but you lose money if you can't get to work.

Last edited:
Something else to consider when it comes to commuting.

Both UPS and FDX have quite a few trips with deadheads on Pax carriers at One or Both ends. Both companies allow you to change these tickets to leave or arrive from your Home. Obiviously if the new ticket is more expensive you will have to make up the difference.

I know guys who live in another Airlines hub who almost never have to set foot in MEM except for the hub turn.

Tejas-Jet said:
please...Please...PLEASE ....don't let that attitude show itself during your interview...

No...wait...on second thought....let it come out....I'm quite sure thats exactly what the company recruiters want to hear....yeah, thats the ticket...they really like those kinds of opinions. Be honest with them...

Tejas

It sounds like your attitude is biased against gays. I'd love to be flying with you and have you show that attitude. Can you say sexual harassment?

OUT said:
It sounds like your attitude is biased against gays. I'd love to be flying with you and have you show that attitude. Can you say sexual harassment?

Can you say: Grow a pair!

OUT said:

can you say go back to the closet gay boy

Latest resources

Back