Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrading from Windows 98' on a refurb notebook?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

I posted this under non-aviation topics but didn't get much response. Thought I might try here:

I bought a refurbished IBM Thinkpad T22 on Overstock.com for around $300 to use while traveling (FBOs, hotel rooms, etc). Nothing spectacular. It's a refurb, got a DVD drive and wireless.

Only things i'll use it for are watching movies, surfing the net, the occasional word-processing etc.

Anyway, it came with Windows 98. I've been advised NOT to upgrade it to XP since XP is a resource hog.

Any suggested upgrades to 98 to make it a more stable platform using less system resources (and possibly protect from spyware/viruses)?

Will Firefox work on Win98?

Some folks have suggested Linux, but I dont know enough about it to make an educated decision. What are some differences between Linux and Win98? Can anyone explain to me how the Linux operating system works?

Any advice appreciated. Here's the details:
  • 900 MHz Pentium III processor
  • 256 MB SDRAM
  • 32 GB hard drive
  • CD/DVD-ROM drive
  • 14.1" TFT screen (1024 x 768 max. resolution)
  • Windows NT Professional OS
  • Integrated Sound Blaster 16/Pro-compatible audio card
  • Connectivity and expansion slots: 1 USB 1.1 port; 1 VGA monitor port; 1 Serial port; 1 Parallel port; 1 infrared port; 1 S-Video out; 2 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type I/II); 1 headphone jack; 1 microphone jack
  • Integrated 56K modem (V.90)
  • RJ-45 LAN network port (for a 10/100 Gigabit Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems)

It sounds to me like the machine has plenty of "oomph" to run XT! If you can upgrade the RAM, there's no doubt it'll run well. Can you get it to a gig of memory?

When you install XP, do a custom install and keep the fluff to a minimum. Obviously you'll need to emphasize multimedia stuff, since you want to watch movies, but I'm sure there are a number of XP applets and processes that you can skip. The idea is to keep programs which run in the background, and aren't necessary, off the PC, especially stuff that deals with databases, financial apps, and the like.

I think its a very good idea to load XP. Win98 sucks, and XP finally seems to be a Windows version that I can live with.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will pipe up. Good luck!

You should not have any problems upgrading to XP. Just format the entire drive and start fresh, instead of just upgrading '98 to XP. Use the XP cd to boot and format the hard drive and then start installing XP. I you have a choice, install XP Pro over XP Home.

IMO, skip 2000 and do what yasir says... format the HDD and install XP. Do a google search, there are ways to use a cheap XP "upgrade" disk to do the job. You don't need a "full install" disk set.

XP is currently the superior product for home users.

You actually can't get 2000.
There are significant differences between 98 and XP, but I have several users who still use 98, and will continue to do so, until I get them new computers. XP has some flaws, and if you do decide to install it, get the full version, format the drive, and install it. You will find that a full version of XP is about the same price as your computer.
Then you have to get a mailer, I would suggest mozilla thunderbird. it's free.

An alternative, not the one you are looking for, is to keep 98. I do not recommend a Linux distribution for someone who does not know a lot about installing it. You will be disappointed, at least at this point. Some versions have difficulty monitoring your battery, for instance.

Ok, I found an XP upgrade CD at Wal-Mart for $89. With only 256mb of RAM will I have any problems running XP Home?

As far as keeping 98', I had thought about that but 98 gets such lousy reviews (frequent crashes etc..) that I didnt even consider it as an option...

You've had better experiences?

First,
An upgrade for XP keeps 98, and overwrites some files, ending up with XP. It takes considerably more disk space than a clean install of XP, since it doesn't completely wipe out 98. It is also considerably more expensive than the upgrade is.

Second.
I have a lot of users running 98, with no errors, no crashes, no stability problems. They will get XP when I replace their computers. The issues with 98 are that you can't easily install some software and hardware. No one makes stuff specific to 98. However, most stuff is backwards compatible, and therefore not much of an issue. I had a wireless card that, no matter what, would not work on a 98 computer. All the cards I found needed 98 SE, and I couldn't upgrade the 98 to 98 SE.

So, if the computer you bought is fully functional with 98 on it, you might be better off keeping 98. If you want to add some features, hardware or software, than putting XP on makes sense.

I don't mean to be a jerk but your $300 deal is starting to get more expensive as you seek to make it workable.

Windows XP
Wireless card
What else comes next.

Box up that piece of crap up and send it back to Overstock.com.
There are plenty of notebooks out there that can bought on the cheap with the wireless and XP already installed.

I bought a flat screen TV/DVD from Overstock and when it showed up it had the wrong power cord/transformer. Returning it was an absolute pain in the as-. I never intend to buy anything from them again.

Goodluck

Latest resources

Back