• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on HR 800 Concerning Union Certification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fine, then make it all secret... any problem with that? Face it, the unionistas want to be able to exert pressure on people, and that is wrong.......

That's not what the "unionistas" as you call us want to be able to do. We just want an efficient and fair system. The problem with any official secret ballot is that it will be known to management. The authorization cards or petition allowed by the EFCA would allow employees to keep an organizing effort relatively quiet so that management can't interfere. Theoretically, a small employee group could get together one day and fill out a petition with a majority of the members and present it to the NLRB as-is, with no further action required. That keeps management from using scare-tactics to fight labor. Employees should be free to make the decision to organize without any interference from management.

The cards get sent in because of pressure and you know it..... Peer pressure is a strong force....

I don't "know it." No campaign that I've been involved with contained any sort of pressure from the OC members or from the union. Any such activity is blatantly illegal, and would remain illegal under the EFCA.

That's not what the "unionistas" as you call us want to be able to do. We just want an efficient and fair system. The problem with any official secret ballot is that it will be known to management. The authorization cards or petition allowed by the EFCA would allow employees to keep an organizing effort relatively quiet so that management can't interfere. Theoretically, a small employee group could get together one day and fill out a petition with a majority of the members and present it to the NLRB as-is, with no further action required. That keeps management from using scare-tactics to fight labor. Employees should be free to make the decision to organize without any interference from management.

I don't "know it." No campaign that I've been involved with contained any sort of pressure from the OC members or from the union. Any such activity is blatantly illegal, and would remain illegal under the EFCA.

You are either naive or a liar... peer pessure is strong when dealing with union issues. Many people who agree with me don't want their names made public because of the pressure.

A secret ballot allows everyone to vote without pressure from either side... what is wrong with that?

You are either naive or a liar...

Call me what you will. The thought that JoeMerchant doesn't think highly of me isn't exactly big news. ;)

A secret ballot allows everyone to vote without pressure from either side... what is wrong with that?

It's simply not true. As soon as the secret ballot is announced, management ratchets up the anti-union scare-tactics and threats. They hire fancy law firms like Ford & Harrison to help them skirt the edges of the law. I recommend picking up a copy of "Confessions of a Union Buster." The less time that management has to threaten workers, the better. Secret ballots drag things out for too long, and they give management too much of an opportunity to put the heat on labor, especially organizers. The current system doesn't work. It's too heavily slanted in favor of management.

It's simply not true. As soon as the secret ballot is announced, management ratchets up the anti-union scare-tactics and threats. They hire fancy law firms like Ford & Harrison to help them skirt the edges of the law. I recommend picking up a copy of "Confessions of a Union Buster." The less time that management has to threaten workers, the better. Secret ballots drag things out for too long, and they give management too much of an opportunity to put the heat on labor, especially organizers. The current system doesn't work. It's too heavily slanted in favor of management.

And the other side doesn't do the same? I have been involved in ALPA for almost 10 years now, and if given the choice, I would vote them off the property.....

A secret ballot allows everyone to vote their conscience..... either way..... the only one who would be opposed to that is one who wants to pressure someone into voting one way or the other....

With a secret ballot, BOTH sides can spew their propaganda to their hearts content, and the individual can vote in secret....

Do you honestly believe that "propaganda" only comes from the management side? Both sides dish out their fair share of the BS......

I have been involved in ALPA for almost 10 years now, and if given the choice, I would vote them off the property.....

We know, Joe, we know. We heard you the first 10,358,435 times.

A secret ballot allows everyone to vote their conscience..... either way..... the only one who would be opposed to that is one who wants to pressure someone into voting one way or the other....

Everyone still has the ability to vote their conscience, but they would have the ability to do so without the threats from management manipulating their votes.

With a secret ballot, BOTH sides can spew their propaganda to their hearts content, and the individual can vote in secret....

Do you honestly believe that "propaganda" only comes from the management side? Both sides dish out their fair share of the BS......

This isn't just about "propaganda." This is about downright intimidation and threats. Management routinely fires employees and threatens to fire employees for engaging in union activities in this country. That's why law firms like Ford & Harrison exits: they teach management how to do it without getting in trouble. Labor doesn't have the ability to intimidate someone in the same way, so the deck is stacked in management's favor. You know it, so stop trying to claim that the current system is fair.

We know, Joe, we know. We heard you the first 10,358,435 times.

Everyone still has the ability to vote their conscience, but they would have the ability to do so without the threats from management manipulating their votes.

This isn't just about "propaganda." This is about downright intimidation and threats. Management routinely fires employees and threatens to fire employees for engaging in union activities in this country. That's why law firms like Ford & Harrison exits: they teach management how to do it without getting in trouble. Labor doesn't have the ability to intimidate someone in the same way, so the deck is stacked in management's favor. You know it, so stop trying to claim that the current system is fair.

If it's a secret ballot, then nobody can intimidate the voter.... How can management intimidate a voter if they don't know who is voting for what?

ALPA diehards also intimidate people... we are seeing it here at ASA now... Both sides dish out propaganda, and you want to indimidate people to vote the way you want.... that isn't right.....

A secret ballot allows people to make up their mind without influence from EITHER side... something you obviously are opposed to....

If it's a secret ballot, then nobody can intimidate the voter.... How can management intimidate a voter if they don't know who is voting for what?

Again, read "Confessions of a Union Buster." Once management is notified that a secret ballot will be taking place, they initiate their anti-union campaign. That campaign typically includes "interviews" with supervisors and known-management-friendly employees to help rat-out their fellow employees that are supportive of the union. Management uses that information to go after the union supporters, many times resulting in discipline up to and including termination. So much for a "secret ballot." The more time management has to engage in these actions, the worse off the employees are. Many times all employees suffer, whether they support the union or not, because management uses tactics to intimidate the entire group. They'll enact new policies that increase employee workload, they'll increase mandatory overtime, etc...

A secret ballot allows people to make up their mind without influence from EITHER side...

Simply not true.

Again, read "Confessions of a Union Buster." Once management is notified that a secret ballot will be taking place, they initiate their anti-union campaign. That campaign typically includes "interviews" with supervisors and known-management-friendly employees to help rat-out their fellow employees that are supportive of the union. Management uses that information to go after the union supporters, many times resulting in discipline up to and including termination. So much for a "secret ballot." The more time management has to engage in these actions, the worse off the employees are. Many times all employees suffer, whether they support the union or not, because management uses tactics to intimidate the entire group. They'll enact new policies that increase employee workload, they'll increase mandatory overtime, etc...

Sorry PCL, not buying your BS. I know a Skywest pilot who openly advocates ALPA despite my advice. He is not being threatened by Skywest management.

I do know personally of pilots being threatened by ALPA goons however.....

Sorry PCL, not buying your BS. I know a Skywest pilot who openly advocates ALPA despite my advice. He is not being threatened by Skywest management.

You're using the singular anecdotal example of a pilot at Skywest. Hardly conclusive. You can't possibly deny that management engages in these tactics. Ford & Harrison's website practically admits to teaching clients how to do these things legally. Stop being a management shill. They won't think more highly of you just because you back them up.

I do know personally of pilots being threatened by ALPA goons however.....

And what sort of "threats" do they issue, Joe? "I'll call you a name on flightinfo" maybe? "I won't talk to you in the crewroom" possibly? Give me a break. I'm talking about someone losing their job, and you're talking about immature taunting from a few bad apples. People need to be protected from management. The EFCA allows for greater protection.

You're using the singular anecdotal example of a pilot at Skywest. Hardly conclusive. You can't possibly deny that management engages in these tactics. Ford & Harrison's website practically admits to teaching clients how to do these things legally. Stop being a management shill. They won't think more highly of you just because you back them up.

And what sort of "threats" do they issue, Joe? "I'll call you a name on flightinfo" maybe? "I won't talk to you in the crewroom" possibly? Give me a break. I'm talking about someone losing their job, and you're talking about immature taunting from a few bad apples. People need to be protected from management. The EFCA allows for greater protection.

So if I vote for a union in a secret ballot, how will management come after me? How will they know that I voted for the union?

Give me a break....

Junior pilots are very afraid of peer pressure from senior pilots. If the senior pilots are pushing the union agenda..... then the junior pilots will go along....

As for your "management shill" cheap shot, you obviously don't know me..... I am an equal opportunity offender.... they don't like me much either because I call out their BS also.... BOTH sides dish out propaganda.... It isn't limited to one side or the other.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back