Update on Cathay Pacific?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
20,000 key's? What?

I know a guy going over there right now with only small single Cessna time (less than 2000 hours to boot).

A perfect argument why flight instructors don't make the best pilots.

In case you couldn't tell by my statement all of his time was in the real world...I mean bush.

Medivacer said:
20,000 key's? What?

I know a guy going over there right now with only small single Cessna time (less than 2000 hours to boot).

A perfect argument why flight instructors don't make the best pilots.

In case you couldn't tell by my statement all of his time was in the real world...I mean bush.

I was applying for the freighter FO job, I can't remember the mins but you either had to have jet time, or time in A/C over 20,000 KG. Your friend must have been hired as a SO, or "cruise pilot". Of course it was the superior bush time that got him on...:D

I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
Cathay loves bush pilots from Canada. Not instructors from Canada, US or wherever. Little known fact. Four pilots from a certain company (over a few years) appled to CX. All 4 got on. Why? Because they all flew in the bush under the same guy.

Go talk to the first CX pilot you see. I'll bet that 1. he is an expat from Canada, and 2. he is an ex-bush pilot.

Why can't you "CFI's" get it through your thick skulls, teaching someone to fly isn't that difficult. It's the easiest way to build hours, not expirience. Honestly ask yourself, "When was the last time I made a desicion?"

BTW. the person I was talking about was hired on as a freighter effo. No jet time, no 20,000 kg's time.

I guess they don't care for American bush pilots. I actually felt like I was getting somewhere with my regular updates and had a Canadian walk my stuff in.
Then I had a friend who was a freighter FO write me a letter and they sent me a 'drop dead' letter. "We are removing you from our files..." etc. It felt a little strange, but was a good excuse to drink some beer.

rehashing the past....

just curious....
how long do you forsee the IALPA hiring ban at Cathay? i don't see them ever rehiring the "49'ers", and i'm sure they have hired at least 49 pilots by now to replace them. so every new hire from here on out is a "scab"? if this is true, and the ban exsists forever, then after another 20 years or so the whole d*mn senority list would be scabs.... no? i know it must not be much of a deterent because they are full up on applicants right now.

i'm not getting into a debate about the merits of working at Cathay vs. elsewhere, the justification of breaking the ban, etc.... not trying to flame, just wondering what folks think? any input?

I don't know what to think

I can't believe the ban lasted *this* long. Not only that, but I've stopped following the developments on Pprune since my rejection.

My only strong opinion is that it's impossible to be a scab without a strike--in fact the HKAOA (union) themselves call new-hires "replacement workers".

I also have an opinion about labor relations over there: I think management won't stop intimidating pilots until all of the high paid senior guys are gone and "replaced" with desperate, lower paid, albeit less experienced pilots.

I saw a similiar phenomenon at my current employer. Years ago the pilots tried to unionize. Management made life even more unbearable. The most senior guys (higher paid) all got frustrated and left. Company hired lots of eager low time guys that worked for less. Later they fired the axe-man. Improved their relations with the new pilots. Gave us a raise.

Wham!

No more union.

There's a method to their madness.

Cathay was a good company six years ago. Now, it is run like a Chinese laundry. An American is very unlikely to get an upgrade at CX. Americans are not liked very well in the company. If they don't like someone, they will simply do one of a couple things.

1) Bust you on a checkride
2) Say that you are unstable and make you visit their shrink

Either one is a career killer, but like Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky?"

I heard...

CX won't hire high timers with previous major experience? Guess I'm damaged goods;) . You know anything about that? Thanks for the info everyone.

If CX doesn't work out, I think I'll try Emirates when I hit the street.TC

Emirates are a little more receptive to Yanks flying there. A better company to work for, also. They raised the max age from 47 to 49 to apply. The application is easy to retrieve fro the web site.

Medivacer said:
I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
Cathay loves bush pilots from Canada. Not instructors from Canada, US or wherever. Little known fact. Four pilots from a certain company (over a few years) appled to CX. All 4 got on. Why? Because they all flew in the bush under the same guy.

Go talk to the first CX pilot you see. I'll bet that 1. he is an expat from Canada, and 2. he is an ex-bush pilot.

Why can't you "CFI's" get it through your thick skulls, teaching someone to fly isn't that difficult. It's the easiest way to build hours, not expirience. Honestly ask yourself, "When was the last time I made a desicion?"

BTW. the person I was talking about was hired on as a freighter effo. No jet time, no 20,000 kg's time.

Before we start this, let me say I have a gold seal CFIAIME. As you might imagine, I am just a little partial to the CFI rating. Exactly what in all of your immense experience makes you think you know whether or not CFI time makes a better or more well-rounded pilot?

If you want to start a new thread, that's fine. Please, cite examples of why teaching doesn't make you a better pilot.

JayDub

Latest resources

Back