Update on CAL new hire profiles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BuckMurdock1

Just curious if anyone could shed light on what the latest trend is regarding what experience one must have to get a job at Continental. I understand that they're hiring like crazy.. 'indefinitely' (according to airlinepilotcentral.com)
I, like most all of you, noticed months back that they posted crazy-low mins to apply.
Well, I need only about 50 more hrs of single-engine PIC bug-smashing time (have access to a fam. member's SE for cost of gas only) and I meet the mins..
Still can't believe it- w/ no PIC turbine or PIC 121 time. ..a legacy carrier..

I know that there is usually a big difference between 'mins' and 'competitive' time.
Just trying to find out what that difference is currently @ CAL.

Anyway- any info. would be appreciated.
-Thanks.

Well dude, I hate to burst your bubble, but I have 5500 total time, 2200 PIc in the CRJ, Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, and 8 years of various engineering functions in the aviation industry. No DUi's, no voilations, etc. Squeaky clean record, and I am not a dick (or at least I would like to think so :) ) and NO CALL! I placed my application on Cal's web cite the day after it opened.
Bottom line, dont hold your breath, but good luck...

Thanks for the info- and sorry to hear that an extremely well qualified pilot like yourself isn't getting the time 'o' day from them; that sucks. That's kind of what I suspected- that perhaps they only lowered the mins for the fighter jocks from the military who may be lacking TT, but obviously have very quality time.
Best of luck to you though- with your quals; if not CAL- you'll get a good gig soon, I'm sure of it (especially w/ a good attitude).
-
I'll keep plugging away, upgrade, and plug away some more.

BuckMurdock1 said:
Just curious if anyone could shed light on what the latest trend is regarding what experience one must have to get a job at Continental. I understand that they're hiring like crazy.. 'indefinitely' (according to airlinepilotcentral.com)
I, like most all of you, noticed months back that they posted crazy-low mins to apply.
Well, I need only about 50 more hrs of single-engine PIC bug-smashing time (have access to a fam. member's SE for cost of gas only) and I meet the mins..
Still can't believe it- w/ no PIC turbine or PIC 121 time. ..a legacy carrier..

I know that there is usually a big difference between 'mins' and 'competitive' time.
Just trying to find out what that difference is currently @ CAL.

Anyway- any info. would be appreciated.
-Thanks.

The minute you meet the requirements, send in your resume or application. In this industry, you never know. You could get an interview before someone who has more time. Trust me, get your stuff in and update regularly.

Good Luck,\

Cya

Got 1500 121 turbine PIC, a 737 type (their app asks if you have one), an internal rec, training department experience, and-according to mutliple sources-prefferential interview status as a Continental Connection pilot. Yet no call.

Not holding my breath either. But still, if you meet the published minimums, apply. You just never know what will make them call.

NEDude said:
Got 1500 121 turbine PIC, a 737 type (their app asks if you have one), an internal rec, training department experience, and-according to mutliple sources-prefferential interview status as a Continental Connection pilot. Yet no call.

Not holding my breath either. But still, if you meet the published minimums, apply. You just never know what will make them call.

Well, the 737 type is what is killing you. They think you are a SWA wannabe. LOL!

Well, the 737 type is what is killing you. They think you are a SWA wannabe. LOL!

Conventional wisdom on this board says a 737 type will kill you at every airline at SWA. However I know a 737 typed guy who just got hired by CAL, and another who just got hired by AirTran. Neither had time in the 737 and both got the type hoping for the SWA job. It didn't hurt them, so I am not too worried about it.

Good quals..check airman, 3 letters of rec....no call. Not holding breath. Good luck

NEDude said:
Conventional wisdom on this board says a 737 type will kill you at every airline at SWA. However I know a 737 typed guy who just got hired by CAL, and another who just got hired by AirTran. Neither had time in the 737 and both got the type hoping for the SWA job. It didn't hurt them, so I am not too worried about it.

Can someone explain the mindset that having a 737 type with no time is a killer on other carriers besides SWA? It seems to me that if someone is serious about moving up in this business, it proves they are willing to make certain sacrifices to get a position, including paying for a type to get an interview. Surely the HR departments of other airlines are not so naive to think that because a candidate does not have a 737 type, that means he/she has NOT applied to other airlines.

BTW, the flame session for SWA and 737 types is on another thread. I'll read your response there if that's what you want to talk about.

Latest resources

Back