Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Man, that's really sobering stuff when you consider their experience. :(

Minh

I wonder if they were familiar with that exact aircraft? My carrier flys a fleet that is not as standardized as we'd like, and it can sometimes be confusing when you jump from one to the next. A steam gauge MD80 has an entirely different system for switching the HSI from VHF to RNAV than does an EFIS MD80. Truthfully, that is not a great example, because the two aircraft are so different, but it does illustrate how two aircraft that appear to be identical on the outside can be day and night different on the inside.

Someone mentioned that it "pays to tune and indent", I tend to agree, but I won't blame this accident on a breakdown in that area until I learn more about the nav management system installed on the accident aircraft. It could be entirely possible that the aircraft could have flown the approach by reference to a full functioned FMS that didn't require anything to be set other than proper programming.

We all screw up at one time or the other. So far, the good Lord has kept my foul ups from killing anyone.

enigma

Questions were raised while trying to shoot this approach, but they continued anyway.

We all have been there when something doesnt go quite right, but I bet at least one of those pilots didnt have a warm and fuzzy during the entire approach, it seems that way anyway from the transcript.

10K hrs to 1K hrs, when your being hurried or when your expected to pull something off, its the same feeling.

I not speculating that was what happened.

There is something here to learn from.

LJ-ABX said:
This should really help the case of those who want to raise the retirement age, eh?

Kids crash too....(I do recall an RJ crash recently that screamed "inexperience")

age has nothing to do with it.

Ignorance of procedures and complacency know no age.

LJ-ABX said:
This should really help the case of those who want to raise the retirement age, eh?
Gee, it only took six post for this guy figure age was a contributing factor. Huh?

UM#1 said:
Guess it pays to "tune and identify"!

The Lesson for all of us is...
No one is invincible, every one makes mistakes from the 5 hour pilot to the 20,000 pilot. It could happen to any one.

Last week I was flying into an airport with a vor id XYZ and the ils was IXYZ, I did tune in the ils but I failed to swap frequencys, I listened to my Ident and didnt catch the difference. It wasnt until I checked the CAPTs ID (he was flying) when I noticed the 2 werent the same.

Stupid Mistake--- but it can happen to anyone any time -- no matter how good your are, or how good you think you are.

Latest resources

Back