"Up or Out" Policies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluto

How many regionals out there have up or out policies? Do they have them at ASA, Comair, or Expressjet for example?

AE used to, maybe still. Not to worry, you have plenty of time before that will be a concern.

Um, ok....? I guess you're right...it'll be a long time before I upgrade at Eagle...?? Maybe I should have been more specific. For the airlines that do have them, are these policies used routinely?

Last edited:
I don't think we have that at TSA. Our #1 FO on the jet has a VERY low employee number. About the top 30 FOs have higher seniority than a lot of Captains. There may be some "pressure" to upgrade depending on who you are and the current politics, but no policy that I am aware of. We don't have to worry about it for a while either.

No such animal at Mesaba.

We have an Avro F/O in MSP senior enough to hold Avro Capt in MSP. His wife has a good job and he gets a better schedule that way. To each their own, I guess.

Personally, I don't see why the airline should care. Cheaper for you to be an F/O than Capt anyway. Just my $0.02 worth.

At SkyWest you can be an FO as long as you want. There are a couple of FO's with about 10 years seniority. Heck, we even have a downgrade program, though it sets you up for a two year seat lock.

Trip,

I think the policy you are thinking about is if an FO cannot upgrade to captain (cuz the pilot sucks and blows at least a couple of chances during training) they are terminated. Very rare.

Not at ExpressJet.

At AirTran, you certainly don't have to upgrade, but fail upgrade three times and you're out on your ear. . . and yes, it does happen from time to time.

Latest resources

Back