Unprofessional controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skyslug said:
RDU...well, "Slow to 160" then not more than 3 seconds "I need you to pick it back up to 200", then within a heartbeat "Slow to final approach speed, you're following a Cherokee"..."go around". This scenario seems to happen a lot...:D

Perhaps they were trained by Potomac approach.

I have never been a controller but is it that hard to coordinate speeds between the initial approach controller you talk to and the final controller. I can not count how many times I (in a freakin SAAB) have been told to do 220 by one just prior to the handoff and then told to slow to 170 by the final controller. Is a Saab catching a mighty jet too quickly????

SlapShot said:
I have never been a controller but is it that hard to coordinate speeds between the initial approach controller you talk to and the final controller. I can not count how many times I (in a freakin SAAB) have been told to do 220 by one just prior to the handoff and then told to slow to 170 by the final controller. Is a Saab catching a mighty jet too quickly????

Not working at one of the airports catching flack here, I can't offer a first person explanation, but in general:

Some folks you work with, and some you work around, ya know? I work with folks who take my feed just like it was their own plan to begin with and work a great final with very gradual speed adjustments.

Then other times I work with folks who I can't figure out at all, take a "natural" sequence and screw it up 3 ways for no good reason, cram everybody 220 kts until 2 1/2 in trail and then beg for "final approach speed". Hey, I didn't check 'em out.

It's not easy to talk to each other when busy though. Most every time one tries to talk to the other, there's a turn on to me made or an aircraft on one of the 4 freqs we're working.

I love to work finals, it's my favorite position. If I'm getting a decent feed, I can use 220 on dowwind, 190 on base, 170 to the FAF all day long and it's boring it's so easy and predictable. Do the turn ons about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 in trail and compression will give you 2 1/2-3 miles at the runway, unless the wind is really screwy.

Visuals are a lot more "non-standard" because we get so many non- jets and non-professionals to fit in the sequence in good weather.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned VNY. I thought these guys were pretty cool! :cool:

I'll second or third or fourth or whatever number we're on for the folks in IAD. Once got assigned 4 different runways there in a span of less than 10 minutes. After the 4th assignment, I lost it and went off on whoever was working the freq at that moment. We then got to here some stern, long winded explanation about how runways are assigned to best meet traffic, yada, yada, yada from a completely different voice.

All except for a couple of CLT guys.

Approaching CTF... Slow to 170.
Over CTF....Hold as published, EFC 30 mins after you run out of gas...
After calling min fuel.... Resume own nav, mainted 210 kts.
Calling final controller... Slow to 170...
1 min later..pick it up to 190....
1 min after that.. "we have CAE in sight"
Another minute goes by.... "turn right to 030 and join the 36R loc, descend and maintain 4 thousand, 170 to a 5 mile final..."
8 miles out... reduce to 150
3 miles out... reduce to slowest practical speed, B767 holding in position
1 mile out... Can you give me a shallow S turn?
On the ground?... Turn left at Romeo..

Next flight in....rinse and repeat... Unless the auctioneer is working. Then its smooth sailing...

MKE TRACON...I am a bit biased though;)

DX Rick said:
DPA- DuPage Airport. The only place I know that will make G-IV go around because of a Warrior.

3 sperate times they have given position and hold instructions while I was on final
Traffic isnt over whelming, compared to the areas like ORD and IAD, but these guys talk to you as if you were bothering them.

Forgot about that one. WAY too much attitude for what they're doing, mostly from the ground controllers, I've noticed. Tower hasn't bothered me much.

No doubt, he does an awesome job.

Latest resources

Back