• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unnecessary verbage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm an airline pilot and these all piss me off, too. Especially "Fishfinder," and saying Sugar instead of Sierra or some other thing for another letter (unless you're in ATL). I like ORD where the ground controller just gives you a taxi instruction and you follow it without saying anything. I love "Have a blessed day" when signing off. Thanks, reverend.

I heard a UAL pilot who was instructed to descend quickly say, "We'll bring it down like a well-tuned Steinway!" My only thought: why does it have to be well-tuned?

I get this AAL MD80 pilot who is by far my favorite pilot in the world because this is how he checks in with me on TWR freq. "American 1485." Thats it! Love it. Guess what guys and gals, I know where you are, I know what you are doing, and I know what you want to do which is land your jet on the runway. Then I get these other guys like this. "Tower Mercury 7320 about 2 miles from Seika doing 170 kts and we're slowin on the ILS 28C parking C8 got the 737 in sight in front of us." Less is more in my opinion.

Really? It would be interesting if every pilot did that in ORD for one day...Just check in with their call sign. I'll bet it doesn't last very long.

Like I said, one or two guys doing it is a cute, welcome brake. Everybody doing it is unacceptable.

TWR: American1234 22L line up and wait
AA1234: American 1234

TWR: American 1234 hold short of 9R approach

Neither one of those responses are acceptable, and I know there ain't a single controller at ORD who'd let you get away with it.

You're not paying attention.
When handed off to the twr (inbound)
all you need to say is your call sigh, their expacting you.

Like I said, one or two guys doing it is a cute, welcome brake. Everybody doing it is unacceptable.

TWR: American1234 22L line up and wait

TWR: American 1234 hold short of 9R approach

Neither one of those responses are acceptable, and I know there ain't a single controller at ORD who'd let you get away with it.

Well, you are correct with the read back of a hold short but a line up wait no problem with just a call sign. Hold shorts and headings is all I really care about.

On the final I see you on my radar and doubt you want the option. Don't care if your on a visual or an ILS because the end result is the same. I see your speed and will adjust it if I need to which technically I don't have the power to issue speeds inside the marker so like I said, check in with your callsign and all will be well. Tell me your life story if you want to you'll still get a landing clnce.

Last edited:
You're not paying attention.
When handed off to the twr (inbound)
all you need to say is your call sigh, their expacting you.

I don't know if the controller will like it if you sigh to them.

..So how about "three triple-oh on the baro"? Very little fat there.

Latest resources

Back