Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

University of Illinois to close flight program.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Purdue AvTech department was 'stood up' in the mid-50s, but aviation at Purdue started back during WWII as it was a training facility for AAF pilots. That would beat the 1946 claim of UIC, but really, does it really effing matter?!?

I haven't heard any rumors at all about the demise of Purdue's AvTech program. Its the small, red-headed bastard stepchild of the university and is one of very few programs that is more "do" oriented than "research" oriented, and research is where the big federal bucks are coming in these days. Additionally, most of the faculty within AvTech are in their 50s and 60s (or older), and it is the dedication of these long-tenured people who keep the program running. New, younger talent is being introduced into the faculty, but if there was a mass retirement, it'd be difficult to maintain continuity.

President Jishke let the Purdue AvTech program languish under his watch, bringing in hundreds of millions in donations for the university but never making a legitimate investment in AvTech.

In talks with Papa Gross, I haven't heard of a lack of interest or applications to the Purdue program; its fairly small (only ~70 admitted into Flight every year) and as of the 08/09 class they still had PLENTY to choose from. With that said, I don't know what the application level was for the 09/10 year...I'd hope they'd still easily be able to fill 70 slots with students that were well qualified academically.

I certainly hope the UIC program closure is a RUMOR only - it would be a loss for NIFA, the university, and the aviation industry as a whole if a program of its quality were to be shuttered.

I hope it isn't true

Having just returned from Career Night in Champaign, I didn't get the vibe that they were going to close the doors. The University has always had it out for the Institute because they don't understand the value of what they do. Campus has this thing for research, and the institute is too practical for them. In 1998 when they A&P progam was dissmantled and transfered to Lincoln Tech, we all thought we were done. However we soldiered on. I talked to the Chief Pilot, and some other old time instructors and it didn't seem like the end was that close. However I did get the vibe that they might try and increase the relationship with Aero Engineering. I don't think that is a bad thing.

As an Alumni, I know I would make my voice heard to try and keep the doors open. As a NIFA guy too, region VIII put out some high quality pilots and I think if any of those programs closed, it would be a shame.

Fly Safe!
Not in CMI anymore!

Will the students enrolled currently be able to "flowback" to high school?
Ha, I am not sure about that. I hope for their sake that this will not be implemented until 2010, but it does not sound very promising.

Well if I did that it would most likely cost the person that told me about it their job, now I dont know about you, but to me that does not seem right now does it? It will close as early as fall of 09' or as late as fall of 10' but believe me it is closing.
SIUCAVEFLIGHT: Are you Nostradamus? No. Do you have a crystal ball? No. There is absolutely no way for anyone, including Nostradamus to make such predictions. Various non-aviation sections of the U of I (also at Purdue, SIU & Western Michigan), like to talk about closing the flight program. They do this at all schools about all programs as a trial balloon regarding how to save by closing programs. The last time that happened at U of I, the result was they purchased a complete fleet of new aircraft and rebuilt the school, moving into much better facilities in the old terminal. Right now they have a beautiful fleet of all alike Pipers (Archers, Arrows and Seminoles) with Garmin radios.

My take: Your comments are entirely inappropriate and hurtful to the U of I program and individuals too. Even if you have a source, it can not be factual because it's only one person saying something that could not possibly be true unless they have a crystal ball.

FI Members: Do not believe this posting until it comes from the Dean of the program, and even then, that's just when all hell breaks loose from the many thousands of alumni. Then the school decides to reconsider, gets more money from somewhere and the program expands by purchasing new equipment.

Last edited:
Sorry UF, but it is the truth, and it is coming from more than one source.

You still around PWK? I have not seen you to much, altough I have not been hanging around there much anymore. Your son still flying that Falcon up at UGN? Hope things are going well, and I did not mean to upset you with this thread, for everyones sake I wish it were not true, but I can't say that as my source is very in tune with what is going on at that school.

I wish it were not true, but I can't say that as my source is very in tune with what is going on at that school.

Your statement here seems to contradict itself. You say, "I can't say that as my source is very in tune with what is going on at that school." So that means your source doesn't know much.

In any event, no matter the source, this subject is a topic that comes periodically and the result is always positive, i.e, new airplanes, simulators and a building. I have no expectation of anything different in the near future.

Besides, since the stimulus bill has passed to include large amounts of money to the states for schools, it will be hard to now choose to close a program at the flagship university in Illinois on account of a lack of money.

In politics it’s all about posturing. In this case it's posturing for more cash and it seems to have worked. Illinois will be a big beneficiary. I would also guess that SIU will now get the money for their Transportation Building that they have been waiting for. The big money is now coming.

Typo UA, should have said I can say, it was early in the morning!

If you turn out to be right it would be great news for everybody but in this case I am positive you will be wrong.

Latest resources

Back