Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

University of Illinois to close flight program.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well Dubya I am not going to PM you with any information, the person that does work there is very high up at the university and asked that I not include their name, what right do you think that you have to getting someones name? The aviation school is closing, its not a rumor, sorry to tell you that I seem to know a little more then you do on this one!
Students have even been admitted for the fall Semester but they may need to find a new place to go when U of I no longer takes them, hopefully though it will not take place till fall of 2010.

If you got the impression that I am happy about the school closing then you misunderstood, as I was just merely stating a fact.

Last edited:
Dubs its legit man. I mean come on is it really that unfeasible with the way this economy and industry are.

... and U of I was having to lower their academic standards for the aviation program just so that they could get enough students admitted as so few were applying.

thankfully, these future students should have no problem getting accepted into SIU's highly coveted academic program.

Yes, but the school was not making any money on the program, and U of I was having to lower their academic standards for the aviation program just so that they could get enough students admitted as so few were applying.

Heyas Siucav,

That's a bummer. Lot's of history with that program. From what I hear, the Purdue program might be next, but Boiler would have more info on that.

I've talked with a few friends who are still in the professional flight training biz. Bad ju ju all over, and it's a combination of weird factors.

Most said they're down to almost zero domestic students. Fuel and insurance is down, but almost no activity. There is some international, but even that is in rewind. The weird part is that what they have they can't cover because there are very few CFIs, and practically no 2 year CFIs to do instructor training. The normal pool of CFIs that is created during boom times didn't happen in the last "boomlet" because the regionals hired with such low time, the number of folks getting their CFI was way, way down.

The older guys with a lot of experience who freelance are still doing ok. But it's like working on your house...it's really hard to find a good carpenter, even in a recession. The good people always stay busy.

Well, back to watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery...

Nu

thankfully, these future students should have no problem getting accepted into SIU's highly coveted academic program.
Without a doubt. I do not know however if you believe that I was bashing U of I as I was not, I have some good friends from that program and it will be a real shame when it closes.
Dubya why did you get so quiet? After a few phone calls I guess you found out that I speak the truth?

Without a doubt. I do not know however if you believe that I was bashing U of I as I was not, I have some good friends from that program and it will be a real shame when it closes.
Dubya why did you get so quiet? After a few phone calls I guess you found out that I speak the truth?

SIUCAVflight, you have issues. Are you seriously trying to seek the credit for telling people on flight info about this first? You must not have much else going for yourself - time to get a life buddy.

Several employees might be loosing their jobs and you are worried about who is listening to you beat your chest.

SIUCAVflight, you have issues. Are you seriously trying to seek the credit for telling people on flight info about this first? You must not have much else going for yourself - time to get a life buddy.

Several employees might be loosing their jobs and you are worried about who is listening to you beat your chest.
Where was I beating my chest? I thought that it might be informative, as some on this board might be considering the flight program or know someone who is. Thought I might help them out and let them know what is up.

Latest resources

Back