Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Univeristies with flight programs in the southeast?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hindsight2020

Yeah Buddy
Hi folks,

I'm planning on seeking CFI employment at a university in the southeast effective Jan 2006, by then I'll have finalized my commercial/CFI (around August) and my Masters Degree around December. I would like to know of any schools that I may be missing in my search. So far I got ERAU, FIT, Lousiana Tech,Delta State (Miss), Auburn (AL) for starters.

I'm particulary interested in Florida though, it being my first choice for geographical relocation. Any programs out there worth sending out the good ol' resume/phone call? Thanks

Happy flying folks

From the sounds of your grammar....you're in the wrong industry. Try the House of Lords ol' chap!

hindsight2020 said:
Hi folks,

I'm planning on seeking CFI employment at a university in the southeast effective Jan 2006, by then I'll have finalized my commercial/CFI (around August) and my Masters Degree around December. I would like to know of any schools that I may be missing in my search. So far I got ERAU, FIT, Lousiana Tech,Delta State (Miss), Auburn (AL) for starters.

I'm particulary interested in Florida though, it being my first choice for geographical relocation. Any programs out there worth sending out the good ol' resume/phone call? Thanks

Happy flying folks

If it was me I wouldnt want to work at a university because their are numerous breaks throught the year such as summer and christmas and all the holidays...anyway, the ones you mentioned are all good. There is also jacksonville university. Their program is staffed by Comair academy CFI's. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, the reason why I'm looking to pursue the university route is based under the presumption that I could obtain a full-time position and the pay would be better than at a regular FBO. Plus my expectation is to eventually obtain a faculty position with the university, not move on to regionals/airlines... But maybe this is not true? welcome to some feedback on the difference (if any between FBO and university--assuming full-time job).

I'll make sure and take a look at Jacksonville University as well, thanks batman

KPTPK, you're gonna have to try a little harder than that buddy, my skin is too thick from 7 years of engineering courses..it's all good though :D

Just curious...why flying after 7 years of engineering courses? I assume you have a degree in some type of engineering program. There are plenty of engineering jobs out there that pay more than instructing/f/o'ing combined.
hindsight2020 said:
KPTPK, you're gonna have to try a little harder than that buddy, my skin is too thick from 7 years of engineering courses..it's all good though :D

soap box

KPTPK said:
Just curious...why flying after 7 years of engineering courses? I assume you have a degree in some type of engineering program. There are plenty of engineering jobs out there that pay more than instructing/f/o'ing combined.

That would be TWO degrees in aerospace engineering on December. Short answer, don't want to get caught in an engineering job (I hate it with the same passion I love flying) in spite of the salary gap. This [the salary issue] I will submit, one must be careful with, it's not all that it's stacked up to be and commonly thrown around without proper context (i.e ommiting to mention the early salary plateau, 10th decimal place iteration day in and day out, joke of job stability) . But that would be a scapegoat [poking holes in the engineering job route] on my part so I'll just go with my first answer.

Did it mostly to be competitive for a Guard slot, but as I've posted before, I failed to recognize (who would at 17, freshman in college anyways) the nature of getting a pilot slot with the Guard (and everything in life after high school, connections connections connections......oh yeah and connections)

So nowadays I can be found at the local post office, shotgunning recycled applications to the Guard, which I will continue to do as a de facto part-time job until I'm age disqualified, but now I've decided to do something productive with my education and combine it with flight instructing, since it hit me the other day that I have pretty much the same (in some cases better) credentials as most of the career professors in these Universities, job which mind you, makes better money than the majority of airline jobs, and the good salary could reach my pocket quicker than the usual airline route, go figure!?!

I figure I put in my time at the institution with the CFI gig, build my reputation, bust my ass, next thing I know, while most of the time builders are running for the regionals,corporate, airlines etc and the other kids are finishing their bachelors in basket weaving, I'm first in line for a professorship at the department with a MS in engineering already on my belt on top of the years put in. If the Guard eventually happens great, if not, I didn't waste the freggin decade and attained a job that 1) keeps me flying 2)makes positive use of my formal education and my passion for flying and 3) pays the mortgage much better than the airline gig and I still make it home by 5pm.

Hindsight,

I think I've seen reference to a program at Georgia State University in ATL, but don't know the scope of it. GA is almost FL...except for the ice storm we're supposed to have starting tonight.

I know some contemporaries of mine who passed up the airline/corp thing for a career in university aviation. They love it...been there 35 years. Good luck with what sounds like a plan.

Latest resources

Back