Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Sorry Charlie

P3-Adub said:
You guys use ACARS to report your OFF and On times yet ?

Not yet.

But I'll tell ya one thing, Most captains I fly with do not see it as an "out" time until the aircraft is pushing back, not just door closed. We had ACARS at my last Airline and the old "Doors closed parking brake released" was used by quite a few Captains to generate that "out" time. Now if we at SWA were making up times you think we could at least finish higher than 6th?

Info...

The new digital ACARS that we are getting is not going to be used to report out and in times. I agree with canyonblue, most guys I fly with want the legit times called in. Just my two cents.

ACARS ?

Never said you guys did massage the numbers, you did. "MOST GUYS I FLY WITH". Anyway, just havin a little fun. The old release the brakes to get the numbers is old stuff, hard to cheat the IN numbers !!! I think the "throwing stones in glass houses" might just apply here ???

Last edited:
Re: ACARS ?

P3-Adub said:
Never said you guys dig massage the numbers, you did. "MOST GUYS I FLY WITH".

Just mean when do you consider a flight "out". The "MOST GUYS I FLY WITH" deem it when the plane starts pushing backwards regardless of waiting for a conflicting plane in the alley etc.. I was pointing out that if anything we sell ourselves short by waiting on the out time when congestion or ATC have held us in place just past departure time. I don't massage numbers either as that does not adress the reason a flight leaves,pushes,closes the door late. The flights I have worked here are either on time or not even close, but mostly on time. Great teamwork here to make the schedule, unlike anywhere I have ever seen.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :rolleyes: but the "out" time and the "off" time don't get reported, it is the "in" time that the DOT is tracking, actually, the "in" time plus 14 minutes.

Since I get paid when the door closes, and until it opens, I like to call 'em as I see 'em when we run over block . . .

Passengers don't give a rat's ass if an airplane is 14 or 15 minutes. They Don't like being an hour late and missing their connection and then having the rude, unsympathetic and arrogant CSRs tell em some bogus excuse like its the weather when it's a beautiful day outside.

People like myself hate flying United. Their service DOES suck and until they change their snotty ways, many of us will fly other airlines.

Hopefully, this Ch.11 thing will sober them up a bit, and snap them back into reality - that includes the pilots!

And this from a guy who thinks flying celebrities, CEOs and the beautiful people in his shiny jet is where it's at.:rolleyes:

I don't like to bash United, but I learned a long time ago not to mention the name of United Airlines at the dinner table when visiting family in IL and WI. It was like saying a dirty word . . . . . Many people in the Chicago area had come to hate riding UAL, and it is going to take a lot of work to change that perception.

That's why I knew Avolar was a truly stupid idea- most corporate customers have their own airplanes so that they don't have to deal with the airlines, so UAL saying that their name would bring them business from corporate clients told me that they didn't have a frigging clue about how they were perceived by corporate travelers.

Anyway, they can probably turn it around, but I don't think most of the employees have any idea of how painful it is going to be to be for the next few years.

Last edited:
Canyonblue,

Naw, I get what you are saying. I also get what others are saying about customer service ! I think that there is change taking place as we speak, just hope that the bow is not below the water line too much to save her ! New management, more comptetive employee costs coming soon, old planes parked, cost cuts aplenty, fewer employees, and sounds like a new model for domestic and international operations. Live for tomorrow and not yesterday folks ! Wish I was there to say thanks to all of our wonderful passengers for sticking with us !

Change or die people keep chanting on these boards, that is what is happening, with a little assistance from the judge. My prediction is that UAL will survive and will be considered a great career option once again !

Happy Holidays !

Latest resources

Back