• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United's chief pilot on the furlough annoucement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have a problem that is a lot bigger than UAL. Get over it. How in the hell do you expect a company like UAL to survive oil at 140 a barrel?

I don't. This is new territory. As I said, uncharted territory.

All of the airlines will follow in lock step with this issue and the fact that the CEO is making big bucks is a small issue in the deal. I suppose you would be giving back your $$ if roles were reversed? Yea right.

I'm smart enough to know that you lead by example and you don't gorge yourself while your people are starving.

A lot of us watch as you whiners try get over the fact that somehhow you have been passed over.

Passed over? This isn't an "up or out" thing. Those who don't want to fly (other than a very few exceptions) go into management at the airlines. Don't confuse the military with the airlines.

BTW, I don't know if your a Marine, but I doubt it.

No, but I fly with a bunch and they are human like all of us--they are mostly good people but not exclusively so.

Being management does not give you the keys to the storehouse. You do not have carte blanche to take from the company to the detriment of the business and its workers.

Business schools in this country have corrupted the idea that was Capitalism. Boards of Directors were intended to exercise oversight on management, not be complicit in the looting of a struggling corporation. Unions are not at all blameless, either but both entities have adopted a 'scorched earth' policy due to arrogance and intransigence.

We will all suffer because of it. TC

Spooky, the place is going to liquidate, with the lawyers and management types scooping up whatever they can. I'll say it again: burn all available sick time.

They announce an alliance with CAL then they are going to liquidate?...wonder how CAL feels about this.

Think.

M y understanding is that furloughs go all the way back to 1999 hire dates. The first of the 950 active pilots begin hitting the street September 1st, notification letters go out next month. Total furloughs including guys on military leave and other LOAs' is something around 1450.

Once again AA717driver you're right on the money. Spooky2, I am a former Marine and you sound like your grasp of the situation is tenuous at best.

I don't. This is new territory. As I said, uncharted territory.

I'm smart enough to know that you lead by example and you don't gorge yourself while your people are starving.

Passed over? This isn't an "up or out" thing. Those who don't want to fly (other than a very few exceptions) go into management at the airlines. Don't confuse the military with the airlines.

No, but I fly with a bunch and they are human like all of us--they are mostly good people but not exclusively so.

Being management does not give you the keys to the storehouse. You do not have carte blanche to take from the company to the detriment of the business and its workers.

Business schools in this country have corrupted the idea that was Capitalism. Boards of Directors were intended to exercise oversight on management, not be complicit in the looting of a struggling corporation. Unions are not at all blameless, either but both entities have adopted a 'scorched earth' policy due to arrogance and intransigence.

We will all suffer because of it. TC

Now that's a nice avatar.

They announce an alliance with CAL then they are going to liquidate?...wonder how CAL feels about this.

Think.

No, you should think. Continental's alliance is also with Lufthansa. That tie is more important than United's. United is one of the founders of the alliance BUT Lufthansa also needs a stonger North American partner to compete against Skyteam. Continental is now carrying more international passengers than United.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back