United's chief pilot on the furlough annoucement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't wait to burn it down!!!!!!!

Great. Another 8,000+ pilots on the breadline. All better quaified than you I would imagine. Go ahead die in your own mess. I find it hard to believe that you ever got be the UAL hiring process.....if ove course your a real UAL pilot. Most are not that stupid! BTW, after looking at your aviatr, I suspect that your not not a UAL guy, but maybe some pilot from another life form out of ATL.

Last edited:
Don't know Joe very well but most Marines don't screw over there troops...

Gotta disagree with you on this one. There's plenty of Marines in management gleefully hosing down "their own".

Unless you've been at a place and watched management do everything to dismantle the company, it's hard to imagine it. It's happening at many companies in the U.S.--not just airlines.

If management can justify their bonuses, the troops can justify their actions. It's a sad point we've come to in this country.

Good luck to the UAL people. Fix bayonets! TC

Gotta disagree with you on this one. There's plenty of Marines in management gleefully hosing down "their own".

Unless you've been at a place and watched management do everything to dismantle the company, it's hard to imagine it. It's happening at many companies in the U.S.--not just airlines.

If management can justify their bonuses, the troops can justify their actions. It's a sad point we've come to in this country.

Good luck to the UAL people. Fix bayonets! TC

You have a problem that is a lot bigger than UAL. Get over it. How in the hell do you expect a company like UAL to survive oil at 140 a barrel? All of the airlines will follow in lock step with this issue and the fact that the CEO is making big bucks is a small issue in the deal. I suppose you would be giving back your $$ if roles were reversed? Yea right. A lot of us watch as you whiners try get over the fact that somehhow you have been passed over. Sorry but that's the way it is sometimes and with the me first group of pilots out there these days, you have to expect losses. Age 65, $200 a barrel oil, bring it on and lets see who survives. There are no sure things in life and for those who thought otherwise...sorry!
BTW, I don't know if your a Marine, but I doubt it.

What a fuking jerk. Go ahead a destroy what little is left of this airline. You would think this was the CP's idea and he is happy that he has to make this announcement. I bet you don't even work for UAL but simply enjoy throwing gas on an already tough situation for all the airlines. I know, keep whining about the salary of the Chairman. They should lock to the of you in a cell together. You could be his boy toy.

So if I understand you right, you believe all these guys about to be F'd should do everything they can to ensure your job security? I'd expect them to take care of themselves as they're preparing to hit the streets. I would hope they don't fly if they're feeling sick or overly stressed due to the actions of UAL managmement. If they can do without them in September, might as well start practicing now. These guys earned their sick time--they should be able to utilize it if they aren't feeling up to speed.

Good luck to all you UAL guys.

Schwanker

You have a problem that is a lot bigger than UAL. Get over it. How in the hell do you expect a company like UAL to survive oil at 140 a barrel? All of the airlines will follow in lock step with this issue and the fact that the CEO is making big bucks is a small issue in the deal. I suppose you would be giving back your $$ if roles were reversed? Yea right. A lot of us watch as you whiners try get over the fact that somehhow you have been passed over. Sorry but that's the way it is sometimes and with the me first group of pilots out there these days, you have to expect losses. Age 65, $200 a barrel oil, bring it on and lets see who survives. There are no sure things in life and for those who thought otherwise...sorry!
BTW, I don't know if your a Marine, but I doubt it.

The problem is that UAL has always had a "merge or sell" attitude. According to my CP contact at UAL, they really have no other options, as that was their only choice. Unfortunately, $130b oil has put a wrench in their plans.

With the credit markets so stretched and govt bailouts non existent, UAL is going to liquidate by the holidays.

Like I said, just a comment from a UAL CP, and we know what those mean ---- BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU SEE IT.

"Overall, our fleet reduction plans include our entire fleet of 94 B737 aircraft as well as six B747's"

Never has the name given to RAH's Emb170's as the "Guppy Killer" rang so true.

Sad days ahead and best of luck to all involved.

Spooky, the place is going to liquidate, with the lawyers and management types scooping up whatever they can. I'll say it again: burn all available sick time.

Spooky: I'm afraid you're not equal to the task of being an aged leader or sage in this profession. Which is not a big deal because there's really no one in your generation who is!! I hope UAL hangs on, but if it goes away I think we'll come to understand one day that there were important steps that labor needed to do to save it. When it was time to be true leaders your generation chose instead to pattern mgts torment of labor by turning on your coworkers and extracting their career progression from them.

Latest resources

Back