• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United trying to raise cash again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I want to see ALL the airlines prosper - I don't want to see anybody lose their job. I don't know if there is enough demand to keep all the airlines going.

Bingo, there was never enough demand. the airlines just created an imaginary market that has never produced and more likely than not will never produce anything else but bankruptcy and liquidations.

You're right and I hate that our country is on that path! I bet that Obama turns into another Carter - one term to totally screw things up and behind him will be the real president that will be the leader this country needs.

War time presidents rarely lose elections.....

One other thing - better hope an airline doesn't go bankrupt during the next 3 1/2 years or our government will be in the airline industry. That will totally mess things up in aviation! How could any publicly held airline compete with an airline backed by our federal government?

Just my opinion though.

Totally mess things up in aviation..... meaning it isn't messud up now..?

Any understanding of the current situation....??

You're right and I hate that our country is on that path! I bet that Obama turns into another Carter - one term to totally screw things up and behind him will be the real president that will be the leader this country needs.

One other thing - better hope an airline doesn't go bankrupt during the next 3 1/2 years or our government will be in the airline industry. That will totally mess things up in aviation! How could any publicly held airline compete with an airline backed by our federal government?

Just my opinion though.

Linedriver,

Unfortunately it isn't just Obama... The borrowing from the future started a long time before that with Reagan at the helm. Now that I have kids, I'm a lot more sensitive to this idiocy.

$50 per eligible "membership fee" plus a per segment fee for most UAX carriers.

There is a direct correlation of how employees view their employer and/or business partner, and their motivation to conserve costs (i.e. fuel) for that entity. Say what you will about who "owns" the seats but, if I had a company and wanted to DEMOTIVATE my employees in their effort to help save me money, this is exactly how I'd do it.

Passengers might bitch about added fees (which do not get them anything more than they had before) but it is the employees' fingers on the cost knob.

They are not trying to moivate the EXPRESS companies.....you are there because there is legacy airline in the first place....consider yourself lucky to have ANY pass benefits.

Totally mess things up in aviation..... meaning it isn't messud up now..?

Any understanding of the current situation....??

The case can be made that the government supervised bankrupcy "health spa" of this past decade can account for the bulk of the misery and malaise plagueing the airline industry nowadays. There's been government involvement all along. A truly free market is SELF-balancing, and SELF-cleansing, leading to a healthy marketplace. That's the way I understand the current situation, and any future government involvement. :eek:

You realize that United as a bunch of guys on furlough, right?

That's worth noting. United purchasing Frontier would not be good for the F9 pilot group at all, at least not for a long time anyway.

I wouldn't be hoping for a United purchase of F9 if you want them to keep their jobs but you just never know how things will play out over the summer.

Linedriver,

Unfortunately it isn't just Obama... The borrowing from the future started a long time before that with Reagan at the helm. Now that I have kids, I'm a lot more sensitive to this idiocy.

Agreed. Obama isn't the answer. With that said he isn't the problem or the solution. Our problems are way before him. Times are going to get tougher.

The case can be made that the government supervised bankrupcy "health spa" of this past decade can account for the bulk of the misery and malaise plagueing the airline industry nowadays. There's been government involvement all along. A truly free market is SELF-balancing, and SELF-cleansing, leading to a healthy marketplace. That's the way I understand the current situation, and any future government involvement. :eek:

Very true, but realize that the people that work for "a" company don't have much say in the way that "their" management runs or ruins the company ultimately. Is it right to have the workers on the chopping block because management couldn't find their asses with both hands?

Latest resources

Back