• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Q1 $542M loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not looking good for us new hires who just started training last month...really difficult to keep hope alive when the furlough word is being thrown around...it will be an interesting year to say the very least!

Well it appears I was a fool to leave AirTran after all. Should have known, approaching 1.5 years again…that seems to be my longevity at U.Andy, you are further up the pole than me. Not sure about the number of new hires. We may be in the same A320 class before pounding the pavement. I am in the UPS pool but that appears bleak as well.

Grizz

Last edited by a moderator:
for what the UAL pilots gave away, you have to expect a little better than a 500+ million dollar loss. guess it wan't the pilot pay after all, they should have concentrated on hedging fuel.

Grizz, good luck to us all. I take it that you're on the 757 now? We had 195 newhires; I hope that they'll be around for a little while. The problem with furloughs this time around is that a lot of the 400 returnees below me are on mil leave/leave of absence. That'll cut through the seniority list MUCH faster than last time around.
My RPT class was supposed to be 9; 3 resigned prior to class.

I would imagine that liberal leaves of absence will be announced shortly.

I don't see CAL merging with UAL with these numbers. They would be like a giant anchor that would pull both carriers into oblivion quicker than you could shake a stick. It would be cheaper to just let them liquidate and buy whatever routes are available for pennies on the dollar. Their only savior would be for the feds to let foreign carriers buy them.....but even that may be a hard sell.

:pimp:​

-- Announced a plan to reduce 2008 non-fuel costs by an incremental $200 million and to reduce 2008 capital expenditures by $200 million.
-- Acted decisively to reduce mainline domestic capacity by approximately 9 percent by the fourth quarter, on top of a 5 percent reduction in the fourth quarter of 2007.
-- Announced plans to eliminate 30 aircraft from its operating fleet, 10 to 15 more aircraft than initially announced in March.

Very bad news indeed.

It would be cheaper to just let them liquidate and buy whatever routes are available for pennies on the dollar. Their only savior would be for the feds to let foreign carriers buy them.....but even that may be a hard sell.

Wow! That didn't take long for some azzwipe to call for the demise of UAL. That's faster than back in 02/03.
What do you think this industry slowdown is going to do to your precious Embraer stock?

I'd say the same if cash on hand remained stable. That was a hefty decrease in cash. I did a cursory glance and it looked more like a fire than smoke and mirrors.
CASM ex-fuel and special items was only up by 2.4%; reasonable.
PRASM was up 8.7%.
Fuel costs were up 51.3%.

Oil prices have skyrocketed in April so even with the fare increases, it looks like UAUA will take a heavy hit in the current quarter.

Hard to believe that an ex-oil man could do so poorly on fuel hedges. That's pretty forked up.

An ex-oil man. He can't even get the hedges right. What a complete incompetent.

Well it appears I was a fool to leave AirTran after all. Should have known, approaching 1.5 years again…that seems to be my longevity at U.Andy, you are further up the pole than me. Not sure about the number of new hires. We may be in the same A320 class before pounding the pavement. I am in the UPS pool but that appears bleak as well.

Grizz

You think that Airtran will be here next year? Not too sure I'd take that bet. It's going to be an ugly year for all of us.

Latest resources

Back