Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BLUE BAYOU

United's Pilots Union Forms Strike Committee >UAUA

CHICAGO (AP)--The pilots union of UAL Corp.'s (UAUA) United Airlines will form a "strike preparation committee," a sign that there is mounting labor unrest at the nation's second-largest airline.
The Air Line Pilots Association has voted unanimously to start the committee even though the current contract for pilots and other union employees runs through 2009 and it can't legally strike until then.
The union's main reason for starting the committee is a response to what pilots see as a widening disparity between employee pay and management pay.
Union spokesman Herb Hunter said pilots have given up at least 40% of pay while executives received 40% pay raises in September.
"Somewhere, it seems to us, the notion of shared sacrifice has gone away," Hunter told the Chicago Tribune.
Hunter said the union isn't planning a strike yet, and the Tuesday vote to form the committee is a preparatory step to opening contract negotiations.
Officials from the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based company said it won't reopen a contract reached just last year.
"Now is the time for us to focus on our customers, and that's what we're going to do," said United spokeswoman Jean Medina. "We worked very hard with ALPA to consensually and successfully negotiate the current contract. We look forward to doing the same when this agreement becomes amendable."
Though a potential strike is a long way from happening, analysts said unrest among pilots could create havoc. For example, in 2000 pilots didn't work overtime and caused numerous flight cancellations, according to Ray Neidl, an aviation analyst with Calyon Securities Inc.
He said the company can't afford to give back pay concessions workers allowed during its three-years in bankruptcy.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
December 07, 2006 11:15 ET (16:15 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.- - 11 15 AM EST 12-07-06

Good luck UAL pilots!!!

Let me gets this straight...your current CBA goes through the end of '09. Which basically means you start negotiating sometime '08. The ammend date will come and go, negotiations will continue into 2010...and sometime in 2111 you get released from mediation, etc...

So, if it went to strike, which it wouldn't because of the PEB, you'd be looking at sometime in 2111....FIVE YEARS from now.

I'm all for planning ahead, but geez...if the intent is only to show your frustration with management, have your MEC put out a freaking memo or some stupid vote of no confidence....or whatever it is you do.

But a strike preparation committee, give me a break! $hit, you'll see another BK before the PEB prevents your strike!

Without commenting on the specifics of the situation at United...there are a few different reasons to set up a Strike Committee, and only one of them is to prepare for a strike.

If it is announced publicly, it might be that you are hoping to heighten the awareness of the traveling public about your situation. In a service industry, it could have an impact on revenue.

It might be that you are trying to get your membership to pay attention. Setting up a structure that ratchets their awareness a couple of clicks might be useful, especially if there are other concerns lurking about...such as consolidation.

It might be that you have nothing to do right now.

Hey Occam,

How did your strike commitee help?

That's right ...................... It DIDN"T!

Now that NWA and Delta Pilots successfully negotiated concessions, even though both companies had LOTS of money in the bank, how do you feel UAL Pilots stand a chance - given your Pilot group's behaviour?

I can hear it now "hold the line" "stay strong UAL guys" etc...

What a joke considering the actions of other ALPA groups, at a time when the industry was turning the corner.

The flying public doesn't give a rat's arse about labor unrest. All they care about is the $99 fare from here to there. You're "personal sacrafice" means cheaper airfare for them.

Gup

Let me gets this straight...your current CBA goes through the end of '09. Which basically means you start negotiating sometime '08. The ammend date will come and go, negotiations will continue into 2010...and sometime in 2111 you get released from mediation, etc...

So, if it went to strike, which it wouldn't because of the PEB, you'd be looking at sometime in 2111....FIVE YEARS from now.

I'm all for planning ahead, but geez...if the intent is only to show your frustration with management, have your MEC put out a freaking memo or some stupid vote of no confidence....or whatever it is you do.

But a strike preparation committee, give me a break! $hit, you'll see another BK before the PEB prevents your strike!

PEB? What, you know who's going to be president? It's entirely possible it will be a labor friendly environment. This is the perfect time to do this and an excellent example for every other pilot group (DAL!). The message is to Wall Street as much as anything else. What if DP's intention is not actually a DAL merger? It may be a deal with UAL! GT wants mergers to happen for sure, he has the money. The pilot group is making it know that labor is ready for 2009 and in the mean time, pilot labor is watching him closely!

PEB? What, you know who's going to be president? It's entirely possible it will be a labor friendly environment.

That being said, labor friendly or not, for an airline the size of UAL, I would expect a PEB. Even more so given that there is likey a greater amount of consolidating this is going to occur.

IMHO

Latest resources

Back