United New-Hire Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilottodd2

I am scheduled for a phone interview this week and have a few questions about united. Can anyone help:

What are the junior bases?
What is the junior equipment? (I am curently flying A320)
When is contract amendable?
What is reserve times in respective bases?
What is upgrade times to: Captain?Widebody FO?
What is widebody FO pay rates?
And finally:
I am at Jetblue (7 months, holding line), any reasons for/against leaving JB for UA.

I am scheduled for a phone interview this week and have a few questions about united. Can anyone help:

And finally:
I am at Jetblue (7 months, holding line), any reasons for/against leaving JB for UA.

ORD, DEN, IAD
737, a320
DEC 2009
don't know
9 years (roughly), 767 F/O probably a few years
airlinepilotcentral.com
the pros and cons for such an argument are very subjective. good luck

What are the class % of Corp, 121, mil getting hired @ Ual. What is the most junior A/c, the bus or the '73?

And finally:

Tough decision. Neither carrier is doing that great right now and UAL may merge with another carrier in the near future (and that could complicate things for newhires). Meanwhile, Jet Blue is shrinking its fleet and the low-cost industry continues to get more and more competitive with new entrants. $100 oil does not help matters for either carrier.

If you want to live in ORD, DEN or IAD, UAL might make more sense. If you want to someday potentially fly widebodies across the pond, UAL might make more sense (perhaps the merger partner will also have widebodies). I've even heard that JB and UAL might be good merger partners - you never know...

I don't see things getting much better at JB in the near term - however, you might be happy to just sit there on the Airbus for awhile and wait to see what happens. Personally, I would probably go the UAL route if given the choice. You might as well do the interview and let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck!

Tough decision. Neither carrier is doing that great right now and UAL may merge with another carrier in the near future (and that could complicate things for newhires). Meanwhile, Jet Blue is shrinking its fleet and the low-cost industry continues to get more and more competitive with new entrants. $100 oil does not help matters for either carrier.

If you want to live in ORD, DEN or IAD, UAL might make more sense. If you want to someday potentially fly widebodies across the pond, UAL might make more sense (perhaps the merger partner will also have widebodies). I've even heard that JB and UAL might be good merger partners - you never know...

I don't see things getting much better at JB in the near term - however, you might be happy to just sit there on the Airbus for awhile and wait to see what happens. Personally, I would probably go the UAL route if given the choice. You might as well do the interview and let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck!

Please explain to me oh wise one how you determined that we are shrinking our fleet??? They must have skipped over that one at the last company meeting.

Please explain to me oh wise one how you determined that we are shrinking our fleet??? They must have skipped over that one at the last company meeting.

Hey dipstick,

Here's a quote regarding JB from one of your fellow pilots (IronCityBlue) from the LCC forum. Yeah, maybe I misread it (not a net loss of airplanes as I previously stated), but the picture certainly AIN'T PRETTY:

"Growth has come to a screeching slowdown, and planes are being erased from the fleet plan via sales and lease expirations that are not renewed. Its still net growth, but less than a third the growth it was a little over a year ago. 320 sales are being accelerated to half of the remaining (lower) post-deferral numbers. Maybe 6 a year, tops.

The 190 is 6 per year as well. Partly because it can't compete anywhere in the midwest. Unless we radically change our business model, it never will. We still treat new cities as JFK-FLL. IOW we price and market them so that they have to be full, every flight, every time, or we can't/refuse to make money on them. Also the factory is unable to produce any more than that without burning other customers of theirs. That's why we mutually agreed on a 66% reduced delivery sked. Lots of managerial/philosophical changes going on though, so hopefuly that changes. Expect a first class soon, that should help.

Attrition is around 150 per year. We still haven't hit the bulk of AA/TWA or DAL recalls, and most of the bottom 60% or more would bail to SWA, FEX, UPS and the legacy of their choice already. Some are holding out for post 9-11 contracts to happen and then bail (first year or even two pay at UAL, CAL and NWA would be a catestrophic pay cut for most with a family to support) but expect attrition to be 150-200 per year. That will account for over half the hiring.

Pay raises are possible, but extremely unlikely unless post 9-11 contracts start to be inked. 320 upgrade is a long, long way off for a new hire today. 190 upgrade will probably swing from 2 to 3 years and back again for quite a while though.

$43,710 is the least you will make as a new FO in either plane based on 12 months of min guarantee. Training pay is less, but breaking guarantee/holding a line adds money rapidly per hour. I'd say 50K your first year if you slack, 55 if you fly average and 60-65 if you work really hard. You can actually make a lot more if you live at the airport, and some guys do. I know a second year FO who will probably top 120 this year, but that's all he does.

Also compare insurance plans at your regional with Blue's. Some are better, others the same, a few worse. This could be a serious financial swing in your consideration. As with any move, calsulate not only how long it would take for you to make what you are making now, but also how long it will take for you to make up for the loss of income (plus interest/investment appreciation) since you mentioned you would be taking a pay cut.

Best of luck with your decision and welcome aboard if you chose to work here. I hope my post didn't sount too negative. I'm just trying to give you an honest assessment of what to expect. Overall its not a bad place to be, though it could be (and needs to be) better. In any case, neither you or the company will benefit from failing to meet your expectations and leaving you disappointed and regretting your decision.

Know what you're getting into and make the best choice you can for you and your family."

Hey dipstick,

Here's a quote regarding JB from one of your fellow pilots (IronCityBlue) from the LCC forum. Yeah, maybe I misread it (not a net loss of airplanes as I previously stated), but the picture certainly AIN'T PRETTY:

Wow, you seem to know so much. Maybe I should jump ship now before I get furloughed. Hey would you walk a resume in for me, I'd love to be your gear bitch!!

jackass

Latest resources

Back