Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I work for 9E.
The pilots were J/S not pass riders.

It would take a lot for me to deny a J/S.
In 25 years I never have.
All I am saying is use common sense...it is a common courtesy to introduce yourself.

It doesn't work like that. You can only jumpseat (front or back) with the Captain's permission. You don't greet because you got an extra min. That's how some guys get in trouble. If we are operating the flight, we want to know if other airline pilots are on our flight. I go say hi and if the cockpit is friendly/unfriendly, I don't care. I did what I am supposed to and I take a seat.

If you are pass-riding, you don't have to greet.

United MGMT is trying to change jumpseat culture at United. Multiple pilot bulletins have been issued stating the Captain is not part of the approval process for flight attendant jumpseaters.

I assume they were offline, thus your qualm. But if you were a UAX carrier, it happens all the time, both ways.

If they were offline, the new guy might just not have ever commuted in his life and didn't know better, and the older guy could have been on the scab list.

Would you kick anyone of them out or deny them? The answer is no. So who cares if they check in or not. I don't get why some guys are so anal about it. I never understood the concept of asking permission to come aboard as well, you're going to get on. You're just bothering the folks up there with unnecessary small talk.

You gonna let a scab ride your Jumpsest? Guarantee that's why some don't come up.

The only time I ever had any trouble at all was recently with a United guy, who I'm pretty sure was also legacy United from before the merger. I asked my FA to have him come up after the flight. I asked him why he didn't come up, and had I done that on his airplane, he'd have probably kicked me off. He gave me a ton of attitude but weirdly agreed with every single point I made. Finally at the end, he said he had a family emergency, and I said sorry for that but I had no idea, all I saw was a pilot in a uniform who didn't ask for a ride!!!.......also had a Jetblue guy who thought because he had been given a seat, that he wasn't jumpseating......I think it's just an arrogance/****************************** thing and not an airline thing.....maybe......

Word to the wise....treat the jumpseat like the privilege that it is and when you encounter a jumpseater, treat them the way you would like to be treated.

Karma is a @#$@#$

A350

Latest resources

Back