• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Jumpseaters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always go up and say hi and haven't gotten an attitude. I don't care if they come up and check in or not.

Had 2 UAL Jumpseaters in the last two weeks just get on the plane and not come up and at least say hi.

Told F. A. to ask them to come up...The first was a 30 year Captain who I asked how he would respond if I got on his A/C and did not ask first.

He said "happens all the time"

Second guy was a new hire. I told him it is required to talk to Capt. before sitting down.

Odd they were both UAl as I have had a good experience both riding on and taking UAL guy's/gal's before.

Sign of the times?

We allow jumpseating flight attendants to come on board without saying anything or checking in with the Captain. Actually had and FO tell me it's their "right" to ride in "their" jumpseat. Why are you surprised the pilots would be any different? The increasing level of arrogance at the "new" UAL is stupefying. The constant bitching of how we did this in the 90's and how we used to fly this route with "blah blah" aircraft and how we flew this aircraft full all the time is beyond belief.

If you are looking for an airline, please don't pick UAL.

Last edited:
Had 2 UAL Jumpseaters in the last two weeks just get on the plane and not come up and at least say hi.

Told F. A. to ask them to come up...The first was a 30 year Captain who I asked how he would respond if I got on his A/C and did not ask first.

He said "happens all the time"

Second guy was a new hire. I told him it is required to talk to Capt. before sitting down.

Odd they were both UAl as I have had a good experience both riding on and taking UAL guy's/gal's before.

Sign of the times?

Would you kick anyone of them out or deny them? The answer is no. So who cares if they check in or not. I don't get why some guys are so anal about it. I never understood the concept of asking permission to come aboard as well, you're going to get on. You're just bothering the folks up there with unnecessary small talk.

I always go up and say HI. The only pilots who looked at me like "why are you bothering us, get the fu(k outa here" were AA pilots, twice.

Because 90% of guys don't care as long as you're not riding up front. If you already have a seat, go to your seat.

If you are looking for an airline, please don't pick UAL.

Completely agree, good post.

107 pilots hired in the last 2 weeks at UAL. All I can say is welcome aboard and good luck. Good luck to all here, save for those hired <85. They did whatever they needed to and looked out for themselves.

When Skywest showed up to enjoy taking part in destroying cal scope. I rode a pass a few times on them while in uniform. Non JS, but still got a bunch of crap from them about introducing myself. Really pissed me off. Pissed off the union AND mgt too, believe it or not. Had two of them DH in uniform on my airplane about the same time: no "hello" visit.

This is all about small humiliations; small man syndrome. We should all carefully choose exactly what we want to be pr!cks about.

Because 90% of guys don't care as long as you're not riding up front. If you already have a seat, go to your seat.

It doesn't work like that. You can only jumpseat (front or back) with the Captain's permission. You don't greet because you got an extra min. That's how some guys get in trouble. If we are operating the flight, we want to know if other airline pilots are on our flight. I go say hi and if the cockpit is friendly/unfriendly, I don't care. I did what I am supposed to and I take a seat.

If you are pass-riding, you don't have to greet.

Would you kick anyone of them out or deny them? The answer is no. So who cares if they check in or not. I don't get why some guys are so anal about it. I never understood the concept of asking permission to come aboard as well, you're going to get on. You're just bothering the folks up there with unnecessary small talk.

It's called 'professional courtesy'. Be a courteous professional.

This industry was ruined when pilots began treating it as a job, and flight attendants began treating it like a career.

It's called 'professional courtesy'. Be a courteous professional.

Thank you it is what is all about. I also make sure I introduce myself to the FA at the door and let them know I am getting a ride.

Latest resources

Back