United Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah... fatalism at its best...

You obtain all the required ratings and experience; you network and establish relationships as required in this business. Eventually you apply and are granted an interview. You seek the advice of professional interview/sim prep services and nail the interview. This I call preparation meeting opportunity. Others call it "luck".

You're off the mark a bit. It's not that individuals don't put themselves in the right place with the right credentials knowing the right people....

What they can't control is if 9 months after they are hired, terrorists commandeer 4 airliners.

What the can't control is skyrocketing oil prices.

What the can't control is the Airline CEO revolving door, management greed and/or incompetence.

I agree with you that you can make all the right moves in life. You can put yourself in the RIGHT POSITION to be lucky (if you will)... but I really like this quote... and its various derivatives.

"Be granted the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and to have the wisdom to know the difference."

Sincerely,

fatespawn

What they can't control is if 9 months after they are hired, terrorists commandeer 4 airliners.

What the can't control is skyrocketing oil prices.

What the can't control is the Airline CEO revolving door, management greed and/or incompetence.

All excellent points FatesPawn.

I concede I need to alter my myopic view on this subject.

BBB

I'm not in it, and I'm also not surprised some chick is...Who would've thunk it, but hey her daddy works there...

Sorry to burst your bubble, and I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, but no one in my family even flies, let alone works for UAL.

It would be nice if we could keep these posts on the subject and professional.

Congratulations and welcome to the chaos! A 6,000 hour Regional Captain - yeah you're obviously unqualified. It must be because you're a "chick" (yawn...) Never mind the FI.com experts and the disgruntled wannabe's, you have landed at a good airline with a lot of great people. Have fun, study hard and we'll see you on the line!

P.S. - please bid DCA 320 F/O - I need to get off reserve... :)

Congratulations and welcome to the chaos! A 6,000 hour Regional Captain - yeah you're obviously unqualified. It must be because you're a "chick" (yawn...) Never mind the FI.com experts and the disgruntled wannabe's, you have landed at a good airline with a lot of great people. Have fun, study hard and we'll see you on the line!

P.S. - please bid DCA 320 F/O - I need to get off reserve... :)

Thanks for the nice welcome, and I truly look forward to helping you get off of reserve!!! :D

Sorry Mega... it was a moment of weakness.

Trust me... we ALL hope your "sugar britches" makes something of himself! :D

BBB

No problem! You know I love you no matter what even if I still don't know who you are. ;)

I do hope my honey (aka the human sacrifice :laugh: ) gets a good job. That would be so nice.

On the other hand, everyone's life circumstances are different and the risk of a move like this might not be as great for some. The opportunity cost of lost seniority at another healthier carrier is always a player, however.

YMMV,

BBB

What's really sad is that I am actually leary of trying to encourage my honey to apply at places such as United. I actually think he might be better off staying at Skywest for now since there are 1000 pilots below him. It's sad that it has come to that. I hope things change at United for the better and for the love of Gawd, WHY WHY WHY has Tilton not had a blanket party yet???? WHY??????

Ah... fatalism at its best... the belief that the outcome of one's life is beyond his or her control. Nonsense.

BBB

So by your reasoning, all the people that went to UA back in 1997 and 1998 when they were making money hand over fist should have known the other shoe was going to drop, right? None of them did their homework apparantly.

Does anyone know much about the training at UAL? How long is the ground school and simulator training? Are FO/s type rated on the 737 and Airbus?

Went thru TK on the Airbus in August of 06. It's now a 25 day footprint down from 35 days back in 2000. Yes, you earn a PIC type rating with the usual VMC circle to land restriction. Training is still the best I've ever experienced. On my 3rd airline.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back