• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United gets cozy with Gulfstream

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swa requires type bc they want their pilots invested in the company. They want them to feel ownership and sacrifice and it's one of the things that makes wn tick. That of course wouldn't work at UAL or aa or DAL bc the top managers tend to be in it for themselves, not for the greater good of the company/shareholders/employees/country- it would just be hypocritical and a transparent $$grab.

Gulfstream will continue to gain customers as long as each pilot believes they will be the next wn or fdx or ups pilot- then that equation to get the turbine time is worth it- Less and less though as more majors become less desirable $$-wise.

But it underscores the need for civilians to be integral in the hiring process - we can educate the others on which regionals are shady and which are good stepping stones.

Last edited:
Rez, you said, "but don't pretend that we aren't to blame here."

We're not to blame. I'm not to blame. The guys who whore themselves out at GIA are to blame. Please, don't use the phrase, "we." Yes, it's the free-market at work, agreed. But, "free-market" is not synonymous with "the proper way it should work." With that type of logic, you can argue that the mafia is part of the "free-market.".

I won't address your SWA comments because I am not part of that discussion.

Sorry, you can't be a member of this profession, know this is happening, do nothing and put the burden on those who patronize GIA. Most GIA'er are young and motivated or middle aged and ready for a new career. Most are ignorant of the stigma of GIA.

In addition, plenty of GIA "grads" are working at SWA, FDX and other career carriers... so the pipeline works.

Coming on a moniker message boards is fine, but from a certain perspective there is nothing wrong with GIA. It conforms to our free market, individualist, me me me culture.

If you want change (and I do too), then act.

Bottom of the barrel major airline paired with the bottom of the barrel commuter! I see nothing wrong with this.

Just like when united switched from Coke to Pepsi several years ago. United was no longer the airline of choice, why should they serve the number one drink of choice.

It's too bad that passengers won't know the difference between an extremely low-experience pilot flying them on Gulfstream, vs. the pilots who have worked their way to their position, ala Southwest, AirTran, etc.

What makes you think there's no ex-GS people at SW or AT. Especially at Airtran I bet there's a bunch.

These are the same flights Gulfstream already provides via codeshare with Continental. No new flights here... looks like they are just adding the United code to their existing service.

Exactly. UAL and CAL both do codeshare with Gulfstream International in different markets. These flights use to be just CAL. They have just expanded the code share to UAL. Just a way to pump up the source of passengers, and maybe even let them expand the routes.

Just my opinion......

FNG

I think it's a travesty that those with the cash, and no experience, are allowed to pay to fly right-seat at Gulfstream International Airlines.

For $32,000, after you've paid for all your ratings up-through Commercial-Multi Instrument, they'll put you in the right seat of a BE1900D with only 250 hours total time. See http://www.gulfstreamtrainingacademy.com/Programs.html .

It's too bad that passengers won't know the difference between an extremely low-experience pilot flying them on Gulfstream, vs. the pilots who have worked their way to their position, ala Southwest, AirTran, etc.

Kinda like the people who had to buy a 737 type rating to get a job?? I hear ya!!

Gup's on top of the world since it's the only world he knows.....leather jackets, 6 legs a day, lubbock layovers, and (gasp) VNAV!!!! Holy crap, I've missed a real opportunity by not applying.....

Last edited:
Isn't the GIA-UA code sharing deal as much a part of the move by CO to Star Alliance as anything else? Perhaps it is not the same, but I was on a COEX aircraft to a UA connection the other day. Both legs had UA flight numbers.

Other than to provide yet another thread in which to bash GIA (which is always welcome), there's nothing to see here.

Latest resources

Back