• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United gets cozy with Gulfstream

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So is a SWA F/O who pays $8000 for his 737 type to fly in his seat a "toolbag" too?

The nice thing about it is the right seat of the 777 gets a type rating at United...for free.

Lesee,
A guy who has no skills in the 121 world pays 35K to go to GIA, and a current and qualified 121 pilot with a 73' type applying to SWA is a fish of a different color.

Who said the B777SIC type would be free?
PBR

Last edited:
I think it's a travesty that those with the cash, and no experience, are allowed to pay to fly right-seat at Gulfstream International Airlines.

For $32,000, after you've paid for all your ratings up-through Commercial-Multi Instrument, they'll put you in the right seat of a BE1900D with only 250 hours total time. See http://www.gulfstreamtrainingacademy.com/Programs.html .

It's too bad that passengers won't know the difference between an extremely low-experience pilot flying them on Gulfstream, vs. the pilots who have worked their way to their position, ala Southwest, AirTran, etc.

This is no different than any other free market scheme. This is the way our culture and society operate. You can't expect an entire economic culture to radically change simply because its in your backyard.

Pilots constantly complain that consumers don't respect the pilot profession, however, when a pilot turns consumers he'll gladly undercut or go screw someone else trying to make a living in another industry.

I hate GIA as much as the next guy, but don't pretend that we aren't to blame here.

Lesee,
A guy who has no skills in the 121 world pays 35K to go to GIA, and a current and qualified 121 pilot with a 73' type applying to SWA is a fish of a different color.

Who said the B777SIC type would be free?
PBR

dude...it is not an SIC type...it is a PIC TYPE....GET IT YET???
They type their f/o's with a PIC type rating.

Rez, you said, "but don't pretend that we aren't to blame here."

We're not to blame. I'm not to blame. The guys who whore themselves out at GIA are to blame. Please, don't use the phrase, "we." Yes, it's the free-market at work, agreed. But, "free-market" is not synonymous with "the proper way it should work." With that type of logic, you can argue that the mafia is part of the "free-market."

And, you can't criticize a SWA guy for paying for a type. There's a difference between paying for a qualification that helps you get a job (i.e., a degree, MBA, a type rating, etc.), and flat-out paying for a job. Other professionals might pay for qualifications, but none of them ever pay for their jobs. Only these GIA-types do that.

Nothing new here

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla., Jan. 18, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gulfstream International Airlines (AMEX:GIA) today announced an expansion of its United Airlines codeshare relationship to include non-stop flights between Pensacola and both Orlando and Tampa.Â
The following non-stop flights between Orlando International Airport and the Pensacola Regional Airport are available for travel and may be purchased at united.com.

These are the same flights Gulfstream already provides via codeshare with Continental. No new flights here... looks like they are just adding the United code to their existing service.

Rez, you said, "but don't pretend that we aren't to blame here."

We're not to blame. I'm not to blame. The guys who whore themselves out at GIA are to blame. Please, don't use the phrase, "we." Yes, it's the free-market at work, agreed. But, "free-market" is not synonymous with "the proper way it should work." With that type of logic, you can argue that the mafia is part of the "free-market."

And, you can't criticize a SWA guy for paying for a type. There's a difference between paying for a qualification that helps you get a job (i.e., a degree, MBA, a type rating, etc.), and flat-out paying for a job. Other professionals might pay for qualifications, but none of them ever pay for their jobs. Only these GIA-types do that.

The sick thing about it is that SWA could easily type the guy on his checkride....but they make him/her get the type before they walk in the door. WTF.

So is a SWA F/O who pays $8000 for his 737 type to fly in his seat a "toolbag" too?

The nice thing about it is the right seat of the 777 gets a type rating at United...for free.

You freaking kill me. You already HAVE THE JOB when you are asked to buy your type rating.

Now I'm going to be a jerk. I make over $200 per hour. How long do you think it took to get my money back on that type rating, Mr. LOOK AT ME I"M A 777 FO? Don't get me wrong - I think you are cool beyond belief, just not that smart about picking your battles.

Gup

I thought the whole point of SWA having you get your Type on the 737 was to ensure your competence and because they CAN. For $92/hr at 79hr guarantee at 2nd year FO pay, you'd be an idiot to turn them down.

SWA can command the ability to require a 737 type and get the most qualified and willing applicants because their compensation package makes it worth it. If MESA or the bastard airline USAir has become required a type, most likely the same applicants would tell them to screw off.

If you have a company that pays double what Airline X does, you're going to do what you can to weed out the weakest links so you can get the people who really are worth what you pay them.

Now if they could just get you SWA guys to chill the F*** out sometimes. Recently we were no.1 holding short while we could see an aircraft of final so we didn't bother calling up tower for departure quite yet, and SWA behind us kept saying "we're ready"..."we're ready here.." "Southwest's ready..." every 5 seconds. Tower of course ignored all the calls.

Last edited:
You freaking kill me. You already HAVE THE JOB when you are asked to buy your type rating.

Now I'm going to be a jerk. I make over $200 per hour. How long do you think it took to get my money back on that type rating, Mr. LOOK AT ME I"M A 777 FO? Don't get me wrong - I think you are cool beyond belief, just not that smart about picking your battles.

Gup

Well you know, when you're trying to argue with one of the highest-paying airlines out there, you need SOME ammo.

You type-ratin buying, 8 leg-a-day flyin, 737 for life drivin guys kill me.

When will you be hiring?

Gup

So have that guy show up to class without his $8000 type rating..and see if he goes on the payroll....You freaking kill me too....

And by the way Mr. $200 per hour....congrats!...but at least I'm not ugly!

and yes....777FO that will be 777 CAPT....u see there is no battle to pick.

Latest resources

Back