• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyUnited

United Airlines Is Near Bankruptcy's Exit Door
From Associated Press

United Airlines moved to the brink Wednesday of getting a final go-ahead to leave bankruptcy protection, winning court approval for its controversial management stock plan and resolving differences with its combative flight attendants' union.

With all remaining objections to the plan settled or overruled at a daylong confirmation hearing, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff said he expected to sign off on the company's reorganization plan Friday.

The all-but-certain approval prompted a round of congratulatory handshakes among United attorneys and officials in U.S. Bankruptcy Court on Wednesday evening.

"We did everything that we set out to do," Jake Brace, United's chief financial officer, told reporters after the hearing. "We have to wait a couple of days to get the final order we need."

The anticipated ruling Friday, barring last-minute glitches, will remove the final obstacle to the targeted Feb. 1 exit from bankruptcy for United and parent UAL Corp. after a more than three-year restructuring.

All that remains then, Brace said, is to finish United's financing process and get the money from its lenders.

The confirmation hearing represented a last chance for unions and others to air their protests and was scheduled to last as long as three days. But the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based company sailed through the proceedings in about six hours of courtroom time, despite expectations of a showdown over the stock plan.

Under that plan, 400 management executives stand to receive 8% of the shares that the company intends to issue upon its emergence from bankruptcy — valued at about $152 million. The stock comes on top of annual salaries that will total $3.5 million for the top eight UAL executives.

Under that plan, 400 management executives stand to receive 8% of the shares that the company intends to issue upon its emergence from bankruptcy — valued at about $152 million.

Geez.....that would be about one management executive per jet. Is this right, or has the press blow it out their @ss again?

Could be interesting, is this the calm before the storm?

SWA GUY said:
Under that plan, 400 management executives stand to receive 8% of the shares that the company intends to issue upon its emergence from bankruptcy — valued at about $152 million.

Geez.....that would be about one management executive per jet. Is this right, or has the press blow it out their @ss again?

You are correct sir :( It's a disgusting example of what's wrong at UAL. All the talk of "shared" sacrifices and "working" together pretty much got flush down the ole toilet there with this "money grab", remember they initially wanted 15%, they thought they did such a great job!

Ya think we can borrow old herb for little bit, we promise to give em back:)

Sad

If this doesen't pan out those idiots upstairs in their offices will have no one to blame but themselves....God knows the whole world and their mother gave those clowns every possible extension after extension, credit, forgaveance, pension cancelation, etc..., imaginable. All I have to say is good luck to everyone.

Nice to see them emerge, intact, and still possessing their superior route structure. Sounds like this board has some jealous pilots who hoped United would fail so their carrier could possibly cash in on some of these routes.

Regardless of how much management took, it still beats starting over and worse, never getting the chance again. Way to go United!!

Thanks

flyunited.

Thanks for the kind words. It is a shame that the others here do not understand the lengths we have gone to emerge from BK. Two years of waiting for ATSB loans that were rejected in no small part due to lobbying by the other carriers. UA has overcome the odds to find itself on the threshold of BK exit. This does not mean the work is over and we can all celebrate this milestone. What it does mean is that we have survived the near death experience and that we are now put to the test to perform. Our route structure and business plan are different than the others for the most part. (see WSJ article from last Firday). UA is keeping amenities, keeping the economy plus and using RJ's with better configurations than the competition. (as a UA pilot I am well aware of the issues involving RJ's but they are the better evil than the competitions airplanes)

To those that wished us ill I suspect this is not the news you wanted to hear. To those that wanted to carve us up. Well put the knives away for now. What the future holds nobody knows. However, during the stay in BK we heard many times from the DL, NW and SW pilots about how we were going to fail and their respective carriers were to take over the remains. As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!" With the exception of SWA the future of the other carriers does not look so rosey. Tilton said recently that when we entered BK he had a cash offer for the Pacific routes from one of the carriers currently in BK that is based in GA. His wisdom of knowing what is core to the company helped steer us out of BK and helped put the others in.

koko nw said:
You are correct sir :( It's a disgusting example of what's wrong at UAL. All the talk of "shared" sacrifices and "working" together pretty much got flush down the ole toilet there with this "money grab", remember they initially wanted 15%, they thought they did such a great job!

Ya think we can borrow old herb for little bit, we promise to give em back:)

Sad

Greetings...I can't for the life of me understand how a person could except these bonuses with a clear conscience. I would think that they would want to do the right thing to help make United even stronger and maybe bypass these bonuses. They make enough money as it is.

Take care

hmmurdock said:
Greetings...I can't for the life of me understand how a person could except these bonuses with a clear conscience. I would think that they would want to do the right thing to help make United even stronger and maybe bypass these bonuses. They make enough money as it is.

Take care

I'm still a furloughed UAL pilot, but the management team that I will return to work for is far different than the one that was 'in charge' when I left.
Even I gave UAL up for dead back in 2003; many on this board were openly discussing acquisition of UAL's assets and which piece they'd like to see their company get.

On a relative level, Tilton has been grossly underpaid. I don't remember his exact salary, but it's not much more than Duane Woerth's; I think that UAL got a MUCH better bargain than ALPA. It was expected that Tilton's stock options, vested fover the next 4 years, would be worth $15 million. 20% of the pilots at UAL sold their rights to UAL stock for three times expected value, hence the new evaluation of how much this stock package is worth (it was supposed to be just under $200M).
As for the rest of UAL's management team, Tilton has quietly done house cleaning. At one point, there were VPs leaving for 'personal reasons/other opportunities' on a regular basis. I for one would like to thank ATA for allowing us to get John Tague. He and Tilton are worth every freaking penny they'll be getting out of this.

I will be back at UAL before the end of this year. I look forward to helping UAL put the hurt on a few airlines that did us quite a bit of damage post-911. Off the top of my head, there's one that flies around with animals on their tails which did a huge expansion following 911 which coincided with UAL's drawdown in that snowy hub city. That was followed by them getting a few of UAL's gates, albeit only for a few years. I'm glad to see that we'll be assisted by another airline that just started service to that hub.

I've lost my pension and I've been away from UAL for almost 4 years, but I'm not mad at current management. Under the current management, UAL has become a viable airline. Make no mistake about it, United Has Survived, United Will Thrive.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back