• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United asks Boeing, Airbus to bid for 150 planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys/gals....what is a good 757 replacement?....787 would be more geared towards a 767 replacement, correct? Everything I am hearing is that the 150 are addressing most of the widebodies but they also are looking at replacing the 757's also....

Hey guys/gals....what is a good 757 replacement?....787 would be more geared towards a 767 replacement, correct? Everything I am hearing is that the 150 are addressing most of the widebodies but they also are looking at replacing the 757's also....

Depending on what you were trying to do with it the 737-900ER.

Just shy of 180 pax with two classes and a range around 3,200nm fully loaded.

I believe that would cover every mission UAL currently has their 757's doing.

Last edited:
I don't think they're going to be interested in a 737-anythingER. My guess would be that they would replace the 757 with whatever 737/A320 follow on Boeing/Airbus decide to build, perhaps stretched. I would guess that the 747's would go away and be replaced by 777's. 787's or A350's would replace current 777 and 767 flying. New generation narrowbodies to replace the 757's/737/A320's. Maybe some other type to fill the gap between the RJ70 and the new generation narrowbodies assuming we can hold onto scope (which we will be able to barring catastrophic failure). But, of course, the size of this announced order can't do all of those things. And......we won't see one of these airpalnes for years, anyway. Who knows.

So what happens if neither Boeing or Airbus bids? Will the FAA allow Chinese Airbuses or Russian Tupelovs-- I mean, consider their balance sheet...

Just read an interesting article about this basically being a ploy to raise cash. Boeing or Airbus somehow get cash to UAL now in exchange for purchase commitments in the future. I think that's probably the case. Not sure if I should feel sick about how bad things are or good about some seeming level of creativity from our beloved tiltonsgottago.

I don't think they're going to be interested in a 737-anythingER. My guess would be that they would replace the 757 with whatever 737/A320 follow on Boeing/Airbus decide to build, perhaps stretched.

Hard to submit a bid for planes that don't exist or not even in firm developmental stages. If they want a bid for a 757 replacement it's the 737-900 or the A-321. The 900 looks like a better airplane overall.

I agree...who knows.

Just read an interesting article about this basically being a ploy to raise cash. Boeing or Airbus somehow get cash to UAL now in exchange for purchase commitments in the future. I think that's probably the case. Not sure if I should feel sick about how bad things are or good about some seeming level of creativity from our beloved tiltonsgottago.

Back when Tague was pillaging ATA, he signed a deal with Boeing that basically gave ATA a Million dollar cash payment from Boeing for every 737-800 they took delivery of. The inflow of cash helped to pay for Tagues pipe dream of building a passenger airline (because there's no money in charter). It also resulted in ATA paying about 4x the going rate on the lease payments of those shiny new airplanes.

WhineLover or ATAforNow help me out with the details. You were there a lot longer than I was.

Back when Tague was pillaging ATA, he signed a deal with Boeing that basically gave ATA a Million dollar cash payment from Boeing for every 737-800 they took delivery of. The inflow of cash helped to pay for Tagues pipe dream of building a passenger airline (because there's no money in charter). It also resulted in ATA paying about 4x the going rate on the lease payments of those shiny new airplanes.

WhineLover or ATAforNow help me out with the details. You were there a lot longer than I was.

Regarding UAL, this is from today:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/analyst-frets-over-ual-cash-strength-sector-skids?siteid=yhoof

United Airlines parent UAL (UAUA 4.99, -0.13, -2.54%) saw its shares shed nearly 3% to $4.98.

"...J.P. Morgan lowered its rating on UAL to underweight from neutral, saying United's proposal request for new jets actually should be regarded as a ploy to raise capital that highlights its weak cash position. See related item.

"Almost 10 years ago to the day, Boeing purchased 17 A340-300s from Singapore to help secure a 777 order," wrote analyst Jamie Baker. "While it is unlikely that manufacturers could simply advance needed cash to United in exchange for long-term commitments, we believe United itself readily expects significant 'creativity' on part of the manufacturers."....

Skipper

Latest resources

Back