• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Strobe Lights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
runway incursions are a huge deal...faa's policy is to turn on the strobes when entering or even crossing a runway, active or not, no sense in taking chances

It is Continental's policy to turn em on, but a lot of guys still like the old way of doing it- when cleared for t/o.

Personally, I have never been blinded by strobes. They're bright, but that's about it. I like em on when on a rwy.

Who do you think can see your inspection lights? Think about it
They illuminate the wing so I would think that an aircraft on aproach to the runway will see them.
As much light as possible when taking position is a good idea although I usually hold off with the strobes until take off clearance is received.

They illuminate the wing so I would think that an aircraft on aproach to the runway will see them.
As much light as possible when taking position is a good idea although I usually hold off with the strobes until take off clearance is received.

Wing inspection lights are great for dusk/night operations, but during daylight it's pretty hard to see them enough to make a difference. At AA wing inspection/runway turnoff lights are at captain's discretion, and most guys just don't use them during day. At night they are required, and do make a difference.

Before the accident with the Legacy in Northern Brazil, Gol airlines didn't even use their strobes at all. Now they are on all of the time. It's amazing what airlines do to save a buck.

I have not taken the time to read this thread. So if this was already said then it was said twice. United's thing is inresponce to an inncident or accident (can't remember which) where it was thought that a few more lights might have made them more visable hence no one would have gotten killed. Strobes are one thing, landing lights are another. It's the same idea behind that check list... unfortunetly someone died and that is the best answer we got.

From AC 120-74A...

b. Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating
limitations, and flightcrew procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:

(1) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.

(2) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision,
and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light
when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped,
yielding, or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be
illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.

(3) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a
runway.

CAUTION: Flightcrews should consider any adverse effects to safety that
illuminating the forward facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots
or ground personnel during runway crossings.

(4) Entering the departure runway for takeoff or “position and hold.” When
entering a runway either for takeoff, or when taxiing into “position and hold,” flightcrews
should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC
by turning on lights (except for landing lights) that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette.
Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.
(5) Takeoff. Turn on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received, or when
commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.

NOTE: The SOP of turning on landing lights when takeoff clearance is
received is a signal to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the
aircraft is moving down the runway for takeoff.

for what it's worth. And before you ask...yes, I am bored.

You guys must have super eyesight, because I have never once seen the inspection lights of an aircraft on the runway. (when I am on final) I have however have had my retinas burned out by them when I am on the side next in line on the ground.

I can see the argument for crossing the runway, as you then can see the side of the aircraft

Latest resources

Back