• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Article Tools Sponsored By
By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN and JEFF BAILEY
Published: December 12, 2006

United Airlines is holding preliminary talks to merge with Continental Airlines in a huge deal that would further reshape the struggling airline industry, people involved in the negotiations said tonight.

The discussions, though far from complete, recently picked up pace following US Airways’ bid last month to buy Delta Air Lines for about $8 billion, these people said.

US Airways’ proposal, promising $1.65 billion a year in savings by combining with Delta, has helped add urgency to carriers’ interests in merging.

A United spokeswoman, Jean Medina, and a Continental spokesman, David Messing, each declined to comment.

Any deal between the two airlines is far from imminent. Continental and United executives are watching the US Airways and Delta situation to see how it might play with antitrust regulators. Delta is expected to file its plan to exit bankruptcy proceedings next week, following a flurry of meetings scheduled for later this week among Delta creditors and others.

Analysts have long favored a combination of United’s Asian routes and heavy coverage of the Western United States with Continental’s Latin American and European routes and its large and highly profitable hub in Newark.

At today’s close of the stock market, Continental’s market capitalization was about $4 billion and United’s was about $5 billion.

United’s chief executive, Glenn Tilton, and Continental’s chief executive, Larry Kellner, have met in person to discuss a combination, a person with knowledge of the talks said. Today, however, Mr. Kellner was in Tel Aviv on business, Continental had informed its employees earlier this week.

Any effort by the two to merge would be complicated by an agreement Continental has with Northwest Airlines. The agreement could allow Northwest to block certain merger transactions involving Continental, but could allow Continental more freedom to enter into a combination if it was the acquiring party and approval of its shareholders was not required.

Also, if Northwest entered into a merger, it would lose its blocking power over Continental.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Airline Industry Needs Consolidation UA Chief Says

Airline industry needs consolidation, UAL chief says

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The chief executive of United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UAUA.O) on Tuesday reiterated his view that the airline industry needs consolidation, but said he was not ready to disclose United's likely role in any consolidation.

"We think it is good and overdue for the industry despite the fact that it is difficult," Glenn Tilton said on a Webcast of a UAL investors meeting.

"We are not in position to comment on anything specifically," Tilton said, adding that the airline is attentive to merger opportunities.

Tilton's comments may have disappointed industry watchers who thought he might use Tuesday's forum to announce consolidation plans.

United, which once contacted bankrupt Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK) about a possible merger, has long made it clear that it would like to be part of industry consolidation.

The subject of airline mergers is front and center these days following last month's unsolicited bid for Delta by US Airways Group (LCC.N). Some experts believe US Airways' bid will trigger a wave of consolidation.

Just last week, Northwest Airlines (NWACQ.PK), which also is restructuring in bankruptcy, asked for court permission to hire a financial adviser to help it evaluate strategic alternatives that could include a merger.

Northwest told employees in an internal posting that its interest in hiring an adviser does not mean that the company is considering a merger.

The airline industry has been weakened in recent years by low-fare competition and soaring fuel prices. Many experts say the key to prosperity for airlines is to cut capacity -- the number of seats for sale -- in order to gain more leverage over fares.

Airline mergers can result in capacity reductions where the routes and services of merging airlines overlap.

Major carriers have managed to cut capacity this year and have implemented several lasting fare increases.

Shares of UAL were down 3.26 percent at $43.08 at midday on Nasdaq.

12/12/06 14:22 ET

That's good, rich even - as if there isn't enough to worry about without the fargin' 65 thing breathing down my 35 year old neck.

It was hard enough getting a job when there really was a shortage of airline pilots (mid-90's)!

Randy

PS - Really, am I gonna get furloughed again through this round of mergers??

Last edited:
UAL Retirements?

Any of you guys from UAL be able to post the retirement #s for say the next 10 years at UAL?

I have seen the retirement numbers for CAL posted somewhere else on this forum- the numbers are big and was just wondering if the numbers are that big at UAL.

Maybe if there is a CAL/UAL merger then with all of the retirements there would not have to be any furloughs- at least not until the age 65 thing passes anyways!!

The 65 thing is the kicker. I think it is around 200-300 for the next ten years, each year. I'll look around, as I'm not that proficient with Unimatic and such...

UALFurloughee

Thanks for the reply- I just got hired at CAL and start class next month-

Between UAL and CAL that could be around 500 retirements per year which maybe no one would have to be furloughed then as a result of a merger as long the age 65 thing does not pass anytime soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply- I just got hired at CAL and start class next month-

Between UAL and CAL that could be around 500 retirements per year which maybe no one would have to be furloughed then as a result of a merger as long the age 65 thing does not pass anytime soon.

I dont think anyone at CAL would have a problem, The regionals would be sent into a frenzy though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back