• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines' First Choice: Continental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why wouldn't CAL be their first choice? They would be the easiest pilot group roll-over. The UAL pilots will pummel the CAL pilots on every issue of a merger. Period! I know being a CAL pilot. Simple unfortunate reality, CAL pilots are weak, look at our contract. We don't have the percentage of pilots strong enough to be a majority voice of solidarity yet.

ROTFLMAO! Which airline do you think was AMR's first choice back in 2000? http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200007/26_catlinb_nwa/
Carty walked away because NWA's BOD wanted too much money for the airline.
And FWIW, DOJ did not voice any issues with the proposed merger.

AGAIN, Andy, tell me how it would work with 3 hubs next to each other? They are all within 1 hour flight of each other. Which one would they trim down? What would local politicians think?

You can ROTFLMAO all you want, but it won't work. Again, you are shooting from the hip with NO ammo.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Why wouldn't CAL be their first choice? They would be the easiest pilot group roll-over. The UAL pilots will pummel the CAL pilots on every issue of a merger. Period! I know being a CAL pilot. Simple unfortunate reality, CAL pilots are weak, look at our contract. We don't have the percentage of pilots strong enough to be a majority voice of solidarity yet.

If you think like that then it will happen.

It's the majority, not me. Just being real.

If you think like that then it will happen.

I just hope I can get on at United before the merger, because UAL will probably staple the CAL pilots, and it would be fun to be senior to all the flowbacks. LOL

General,

The article Andy was quoting was from year 2000. AMR could easily try to play spoiler in the Delta-Northwest merger scenario today. Do you think every other airline will sit on their hands and watch this play out?

I just hope I can get on at United before the merger, because UAL will probably staple the CAL pilots, and it would be fun to be senior to all the flowbacks. LOL

I'm sure you will get rejected there as well. Didn't you run your clap trap earlier you had "connections"?

What happened, get your knees roughed up for nothing?

AGAIN, Andy, tell me how it would work with 3 hubs next to each other? They are all within 1 hour flight of each other. Which one would they trim down? What would local politicians think?

You can ROTFLMAO all you want, but it won't work. Again, you are shooting from the hip with NO ammo.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Geez, you're freaking dense. In 2000, AMR needed another hub in the center of the country to offload excess traffic from DFW and ORD. DFW and ORD were maxed out - need I remind you of the slot restrictions put in place at ORD back then?
Carty wanted NWA because the MSP and DTW hubs were great fortress hubs with a lot of O&D traffic. The O&D traffic out of STL was smaller and not the high yield variety.
There was zero talk of dismantling any of the three hubs, because MSP and DTW are high revenue fortress hubs. I understand that the high revenue fortress hub is a difficult concept for a deltoid to grasp, since SLC is about the closest thing to such a beast for Delta.
It's pretty obvious from previous exchanges with you that you have near zero understanding of why AMR would want/need additional midwest hubs. Again, DFW and ORD were maxed out; ORD is still maxed out - I can't speak for DFW since I haven't been through there for quite a while. So what's the importance of additional midwest hubs for AMR? Look at AMR's fleet. Mad dogs and guppies aren't built for transcons. They've dissembled most of their STL hub; it's a crappy hub city, so that's the logical move.

AGAIN, USAirways had 4, count 'em, FOUR hubs within an hour of each other - PHL, PIT, DCA, and BWI. Those hubs are used primarily for north/south traffic. And PHL and DCA are great high yield O&D hubs. I know, I know, high yield O&D hubs are an abstract concept to deltoids.

It'd be guaranteed to go to arbitration, and would almost certainly end up being relative seniority with minor tweaks.
Exactly what did you hope to gain with such an inflammatory comment? Are you having a contest with GL to see who's got the lowest IQ?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back