• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines employees protest at annual meeting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wouldn't bet on it, see Northwest Airlines c. 2005.

Heck UAL has a lot of pilots that didn't even respect their own strikes.

Exactly....Northwest Mechanics struck and well......they kept flying.

So, a union worker will cross the picket line of another union worker so long as there are different unions involved. It would seem logic dictates that struck work is struck work. Then again, I guess the Teamsters would cross an ALPA line.

We would honor the picket line.

Then the strike would be halted by administration no matter who is in it therefore useless discussion.

We would honor the picket line.

Then the strike would be halted by administration no matter who is in it therefore useless discussion.

Useless - No doubt about that.

I was primarily curious as to how thick this whole brotherhood thing is in the union world.

From what I understand it is up to the unions to decide between them if there should be a "sympathy" strike.

I know my dad was at Ozark during the mechanics strike in 75 and TWA when the FA's struck in 86. In 75 he was laid off(brand new at the time) for a year and I think in 86 they partook in a sympathy strike, but I am not 100% on that, I never really asked him about it.

Even with no "sympathy" strike I cant imagine any airline running for more than 2-3 days if every mechanic went on strike.

From what I understand it is up to the unions to decide between them if there should be a "sympathy" strike.

I know my dad was at Ozark during the mechanics strike in 75 and TWA when the FA's struck in 86. In 75 he was laid off(brand new at the time) for a year and I think in 86 they partook in a sympathy strike, but I am not 100% on that, I never really asked him about it.

Even with no "sympathy" strike I cant imagine any airline running for more than 2-3 days if every mechanic went on strike.

I guess for that matter, any employee group if they're not replaced. And mechanics and pilots would be very, very difficult to replace even without unions involved. Well, unless you took the IT industry's path and looked overseas.

Looks like those guys might be in for a bit of a return to the golden age. In terms of money anyway.

Actually with a mechanic strike it would seem to me the mechanics would want the pilots to go to work to help them out. ALPA sends email to all pilots the night before to fly very safe in the morning and make sure the aircraft is "safe". Pilots show up. Write up every airplane for any reason whatsoever and the entire fleet is grounded before 6:15am. 6:45am mechanics get whatever they are asking for. 7am the strike is over. Problem solved.

Latest resources

Back