Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
check6 said:
Sounds like your everyday average PDT Dash-8

Boy, isn't that the truth. Actually, got to ride on one today out of LGA and it actually wasn't bad in the cabin. I was planning for the worse.

Well in general the high temps are a little harder to deal with in the Midwest due to the higher humidity, but just try flying out of Phoenix on one of those frigging RJ's, they taxi out on one engine and there is no airflow to passengers until after takeoff, have complained to AWA many times to no avail. :angryfire

TrafficInSight said:
"they endangered our lives putting us on that plane."

Are you kidding me?

When I was at Continental Express we averaged one death a year in IAH from heat related issues in the cabin. The elderly were usually the victims. It can and does happen.

check6 said:
Sounds like your everyday average PDT Dash-8

You guys still driving the birds around with no eyeball vent in the cockpit? The early models (906HA, 907HA, etc) had three small floor vents that did a great job of keeping a 1 sq in patch of the floor plate cool.

Then, inexplicably, there were the 91XHA-92XHA that only had ONE of these floor vents. Man, BBQ city in CLT or TPA.

Finally the 93XHA, 94XHA and 97XHA birds had the eyeball vents, which, on a moderate day, could keep up with the heat.

The -200s were all much better, but they were all down in FLA when I was there. Nice rides...climb was much better...meaning you could scoot up in the summer time instead of inching up.

Nu

Airline Red tape is amazing. Always someone wanting to show someone else they are in charge. Sounds like the captain was a squared away guy, but the airline gets directly involved in a situation the should let those involved handle, but that would make too much sense.

Get the stairs out
Pull the plane away from the gate
Start the RH Engine
Open the Bleeds and cold soak the cabin
Get 4 or 5 buses
Bring the folks out, put them on the buses and board them on the LH side
Shut the door and be on your way

Is it really that difficult? It might cost 5K to do that, but would it be worth not having the bad press they are getting now? I'd say so

LRvsH25B said:
Airline Red tape is amazing. Always someone wanting to show someone else they are in charge. Sounds like the captain was a squared away guy, but the airline gets directly involved in a situation the should let those involved handle, but that would make too much sense.

Get the stairs out
Start the RH Engine
Get 4 or 5 buses

Is it really that difficult? It might cost 5K to do that, but would it be worth not having the bad press they are getting now? I'd say so

You really suggest they do all that? The flights might be leaving a little late. Where was the ground air hook up? I work the ramp in LAS which gets a little hotter than back east. It was 105 today and it seemed cool. We do get some complaints that it is too hot but the ground air seems to do the job. Other than the above suggestion; which seems a little far fetched, what does anybody suggest?

T' Hell with Procedures!

Say Again Over said:
Well in general the high temps are a little harder to deal with in the Midwest due to the higher humidity, but just try flying out of Phoenix on one of those frigging RJ's, they taxi out on one engine and there is no airflow to passengers until after takeoff, have complained to AWA many times to no avail. :angryfire

Quit complaining and start doing. Something regional pilots don't seem to get is that the PIC has final authority as to the operation of the aircraft. If it is too hot, and potentially dangerous to the passengers, use the second engine, do whatever you have to to get the aircraft cool.

Company rules are guidelines. It is your responsibility to make judgements for the safety of the flight. I know it isn't fun to go against company rules because you'll get a bunch of crap for it. However, that is what your union is for. They should back any captain that uses any means necessary to prevent injury or death of passengers.

I don't mean to rag on the original poster, or regional pilots in general, I just think a point needs to be made. Regionals preach procedures as if if you break procedures you'll be sent to a place worse than hell. To make matters worse, so many regional pilots never truely acted as PIC of an aircraft carrying passengers prior to working for the regional. They just don't have the experience to recognize the sneakily unsafe situations.

Sometimes procedures are not in the best interest of the situation. So when your cabin is so hot that you think you should be paying them for the sauna treatment, start up the other engine.

Just some friendly advice.

BTW..Do you recognize this quote?

"The captain was asked why she closed the throttles prior to touchdown, as the airplane was slow on the approach. She reported that she closed the throttles because it was company procedure to close the throttles at 50 feet."

It is from an NTSB report if that is any help :)

LRvsH25B said:

Get the stairs out
Start the RH Engine
Get 4 or 5 buses

Unfortunately it really IS that difficult. What you suggest sounds great but in reality is not possible. First off you just can't "get the stairs out" or "pull the plane away from the gate" at a place like O'Hare. A 777 sitting in the middle of United's alley would create gridlock, that happens from time to time there anyway and it is not pretty. You could start the engine but in those kinds of temperatures you're not going to get the cabin to an acceptable temperature by just using the packs off of one engine running at idle while sitting on the ground. Also good luck at a place like ORD getting 4-5 busses on short notice. Anything already at the airport for any other purpose would be busy with whatever it's doing at the time, not like they will just stop moving other passengers back and forth and come to the rescue of one poor UAL 777. Finally if you want to see the Feds have a cow, try boarding a 777 through airstairs, in the middle of the ramp at one of the busiest airports in the world, with the other engine, the one that is the same size as a 737 fuselage, running the whole time.

Getting 4-5 busses? Yeah, that's gonna happen. Don't know about DEN, but in IAD you're lucky to get a wheelchair within 45 minutes of arriving at the gate (after calling for it when in-range, on the ground, at the gate, etc., etc.).

Thinking outside the box is great (even us dirty, rotten, under-qualified regional PIC's do it sometimes:rolleyes: ), but you usually just end up banging your head against the wall that is Airline Operations.

MJG said:
GPU is for electricity only, no air, for that you need an air conditioning unit, you know those big yellow hoses you see hooked up to the bottom of aircraft. This IS a serious problem.
I curious to know why airliners/RJs are engineered that way. The plane I fly, albeit much smaller, is capable of having a GPU engergize the air conditioner; the vapor cooling cycle system as it is called, runs on electricity as do the blowers. Do the airliners lack a/c because the volume of air in the cabin would require too many units or too big a cooling unit to make it practical? Certainly, this is not the problem with the RJs. Is it a weight saving measure? Thanks in advance.

FoF

Latest resources

Back