Unions, Airlines and Economics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anjinoo, answer me this...

Say you own something that, oh, I dunno, 100 other people have. 20 people have sold that something for $100. What do you think your something is worth? You're going to say $100, right? Well, what happens if nobody buys your something? It's not worth anything now.

That was a major problem with ESOP. The stock the employees had was not able to be sold on the open market, thus decreasing its value. Management was free to jerk the employees around, and there's nothing they could do about it.

Anjinoo,

Have you read the RLA or do you understand how it works? Are you aware of the NMB and its role? Not just its "theoretical" role but the real role that it plays in today's negotiations processes? And are you aware of how the RLA differs from the NLRA?

-Neal

smellthejeta said:
Anjinoo, answer me this...

Say you own something that, oh, I dunno, 100 other people have. 20people have sold that something for $100. What do you think yoursomething is worth? You're going to say $100, right? Well, what happensif nobody buys your something? It's not worth anything now.

That was a major problem with ESOP. The stock the employees had was notable to be sold on the open market, thus decreasing its value.Management was free to jerk the employees around, and there's nothingthey could do about it.

Sorry Smelly but be that true or untrue, the fact remains the unionswanted it, got it and are now the owners. They are also the"management" you speak of. You keep trying to differentiate"management's" decisions from the unions, however in UAL case they areone in the same. The union was the major shareholder and had the mostvotes on the board and they agreed to whatever stipulations the ESOPspelled out, heck they designed it. Trying to rationalize blamesomewhere other than the union in this case is wrong. For all intensivepurposes the union and employees owned thier own airline.

bludevav8r said:
Have you read the RLA or do you understand how it works? Are you awareof the NMB and its role? Not just its "theoretical" role but the realrole that it plays in today's negotiations processes? And are you awareof how the RLA differs from the NLRA?

Yes I am fully aware of the Railway Labor Act and the NationalMediation Board, I know the history of the RLA and why it came about aswell. I am also aware of the collective bargaining involved and thestipulations and timeframes associated with it.
If you are going to tell me the RLA takes all the power away from theunion in the case of a labor dispute please refrain. I was not bornyesterday and you know just as well as everyone else here there are,for lack of better words, tactics the union employs to make thierpresence felt on a daily basis.

A long time ago, businesses abused employees shamelessly.

Justice and reason prevailed, and unions were born.

Then, the pendulum swung and the unions began to abuse their employers, and consequently, the shareholders or owners.

Justice and reason will ultimately prevail, and that is why unions are declining steeply in power. They were not wise or reasonable in the use of their power, and will pay the price.

It's over for the unions for the most part.

BluDevAv8r said:
Anjinoo,

... And are you aware of how the RLA differs from the NLRA?

-Neal

I asked him that in paragraph 2 of Post 2 - - don't confuse him with facts, OK?

:)

anjinoo7 said:
Here is my reference for the ownership stakeofUAL.Youmight be righthowever that that stake has changedsincethebankruptcyfiling butnone the less it was true up until it.

http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_12/b3673128.htm

Oh yeah and another:
http://www.forbes.com/2003/03/05/cx_ld_0305esop.html
and another http://securities.stanford.edu/news-archive/2003/20030303_Headline08_Staff.htm
and another
http://slate.msn.com/id/2069362/

Try using Google sometime it's a great tool!:)

As far as the most profitable and and largest percentageofworkerswhoareunionized, please do tell. I wait with baited breathforyoutotell us all(please include references as I did).

anginoo7

My profile is correct, I'll assume the same about yours.Myinfocomesfrom being part of this business for 18 years. Whileyouweretakingmanagement 101, I was out dealing with the effectsofmanagerswhodidn't know what they were doing. I'm not going tospendtimesearchingfor a fact that I know to be true. I will tell youthatIread theunionization fact in a story that was linked to fromrighthereatflightinfo.com. If I truly thought that you were aseekerofknowledge,I might do the search. Unfortunately, I think thatyouarejust amanagement wanna-be troll.

SWA has the largest percentage of unionized workers. SWA isalsotheonlyprofitable major airline. SWA is also one ofthehighestpayingnarrowbody carriers in the world. Yes I LUV SWA andhopeto soonbehonored to be amongst their ranks.

I guess that it is possible that SWA's unionscouldturnagainstmanagement, but my observations tell me that unionstreattheboss in amirror image of the way the boss treats them. As longasthebosstreats his employees well, the employees willbehardworking,responsible, and efficient workers who willaccomplishtheirjobs with a positive, can-do attitude.

enigma

Last edited:
enigma said:
I guess that it's time to start browsing FI with IE:(

It would certainly make it easier to READ your posts!

:)

pssssst..... oh, and it's sepArately. ;)

Last edited:
Unionization of the airlines is tough to understand unless you are an airline employee. If you notice, at every airline employees have grouped together to bargain collectively, even "non union" carriers like Skywest.

The difference between being a pilot, or flight attendant, and other jobs is that as a flight crew member you are expected to be at the "office" as much as 400 hours a month. The Company has complete control over your schedule, can change your schedule and can require you to work when you would rather not be on the job.

So the quality of the majority of your life is at the whim of the Company. There has to be rules. For example, my airline used to "double bunk" on hotel rooms to save money. Without rules your airline could decide your day off is going to be on the other side of the planet, away from home. And of course there are the safety and sleep issues which were the genesis of the organised labor movement in the transportation industry. Pilots got tired of being pressured and flying being a death sentance....

There are also efficiencies in the collective bargaining process. My airline has around 1,700 pilots, one Chief Pilot, and 5 to 7 Assistants. There is no way you could manage that many employees with the traditional fashion with so little management structure. At my former ( non union ) employer we had a 4 to 1 ratio of employees to managers. At most airlines it is around 70 or 100 to 1 manager.

Having rules allows both the company and employee to have reasonable expectations. It provides incentives for good performace ( seniority ) and disincentives for problem children ( time off & firing ). Bottom line is that unions definately have problems, I am a supporter of a group actively suing my union over representational issues. But, there is no better way to run an airline. If you think of something that works, let us know.

~~~^~~~

The Southwest points is interesting and true. The big difference has been the ability of Southwest to create and so far maintain a different culture than the rest.

Secondly, they came up with a model from the beginning that has worked that was equally different than the rest which has provided success in good and bad times.

Good for Herb and the management group.

That said, they have not had to fight the problems inherent in the legacy carriers. The legacy carriers were out of control long before the end of regulation. Of all fo them, only Dick Crandall was able to transition to the deregulated environment and come through in relatively good shape. Eastern, Braniff, National, Pan Am, etc all died from not being able to adapt.

Unions have not killed these off nor have they been much help either. What they do is bog down the entity in rules, regulations, and costs that someone else may not have which enables them to kick your ass like Southwest has done.

Anjinoo7,

Unions are creations of capitalism. Companies got greedy and to protect themselves employees created unions. Your text book analysis is all good, but like so many have said not reality. We do not live in a truly capitalist society. For your theories to hold up we would have to get rid off:

1. Railway Labor Act
2. FAA and all its regulations
3. Bankrupcty laws that allow the government to give one company and unfair competitive advantage.

Then companies and employees would be subject to simple capital market forces. It sure would be interesting to see it happen, but we all know that these things are not going away. Your argument has no validity to it. It is straight out of a textbook and academia.

Latest resources

Back