Union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smoke

Has anyone ever started a union at their work? I am getting tired of the crap at my work and thinking about trying to organize? Any suggestions?

Has anyone ever started a union at their work? I am getting tired of the crap at my work and thinking about trying to organize? Any suggestions?

Don't do it. A union was voted in to my office over two years ago and all it has brought us is a pay freeze and a lot of hard feelings. You really need to understand what you are bringing into your office and your life when look at bringing in a union. You will probably find out after the union is in that they will not even address most of the complaints you have.

If you are really unhappy where you are at It would be much better for everyone involved if you just tried another office. You might find out the place you just left wasn't so bad after all.

up to four years

Don't do it. A union was voted in to my office over two years ago and all it has brought us is a pay freeze and a lot of hard feelings. You really need to understand what you are bringing into your office and your life when look at bringing in a union. You will probably find out after the union is in that they will not even address most of the complaints you have.

If you are really unhappy where you are at It would be much better for everyone involved if you just tried another office. You might find out the place you just left wasn't so bad after all.
Company can drag out negations for up to four years, during that time nothing changes, no change in pay working conditions, or benefits. Somewhere around three years it will go to arbitration and then maybe delayed for another year. How big is the company? Unions need a certain size to be interest in going through the expense of organizing. Is it a career position? you are probably better foot voting with your feet. Enough pilots do that it will normally get managements attention.

Here is a description of the process from the National Mediation Board website:
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/rapply.html

On 23 Mar this year the TWU was certified to represent the dispatchers at PSA. (8 out of 12)
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/deter2007/34n023.pdf
On 3 Nov 2005. the TWU was certified to represent the dispatchers at Ryan Air (7 of 8)
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/deter2006/33n003.pdf
On Aug 10 2005, TWU was certified to represnt the dispatchers at Pinnacle. (17 of 33)
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/deter2005/32n039.pdf

What kind of "crap" are you talking about? Be careful in thinking a union is the solution to all of the problems at your office. If you do decide to organize a drive and it gets voted in, be prepared for a LONG road to a contract. Also, later on if you and/or your coworkers decide the union wasn't exactly what you were expecting it to be, it's almost impossible to get them out.

It would have probably been more successful if the thoughts were like this....

Don't do it. A union was voted in to my office over two years ago and all it has brought us is a pay freeze and a lot of hard feelings. WE really need to understand what WE are bringing into our office and our life when WE look at bringing in a union. WE will probably find out after the union is in that they will not even address most of the complaints WE have.

If WE are really unhappy where WE are at, It would be much better for everyone involved if WE just tried another office. WE might find out the place WE just left wasn't so bad after all.

Then again ......resigning your self to your terrorist be saying..it really isn't so bad... is kinda weak...

Uh, how about going and getting a better job? What happened to that solution?

Put down Marx and Engels, my friend. Just ask UAW workers.

It doesn't really matter, but Ryan Air is in Dublin, Ireland. Ryan International is represented by TWU.

FYI, the vote was in Nov 2005, and the contract was signed in late spring of this year, if I heard correctly.
Thanks for that correction and sorry I can't edit it.

I also appreciate the update on the contract. I was wondering what the status was at the other two listed (PSA and Pinnacle).

Latest resources

Back