Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crossky

A Gentleman and a bother
Just applied for a CA position, supposed to be in Omaha on a Challenger. Info or gouge on company anyone? QOL, pay, bennies, schedule? Do they run you like a train engineer? Thanks in advance. (c:

They have a Falcon 2000 and recently added 2 Challenger 300s. Their Hawker is for sale and at one time so was their Challenger 601, but it's not listed anymore.

Railroad Lifestyle

You really have no idea what an engineer or conductor goes through. The "blue collar" life style is a real stinker. You are really just a number to the crew caller. The union contract says you will be avalialble for work 24-7 365 days a year. Senority is everything. You are lucky if the Class I railroad shuts down for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Otherwise, work, work,and more work. No set days off. If you are not called in a 24 hr period, feel lucky. I know I was a conductor for 2 years. Even flying skydivers in a 206 was better than this. Pay, right, you are at 75% and increase 5% per year till you hit 100%. A conductor is promoted to Engineer but if you flunk out of Engeneer school you don't go back to conductor. You are OUT THE DOOR, to bad, on the street. If you want more info see WWW.therailforum.com. My screen name is Royalgorge. Please, enjoy the airplanes instead but the Class 1's are looking for alot of people to run trains. If you do hire on be aware of this situation. The old fat farts will sit around and complain about there "productivity checks" being smaller than $40K a year over and above the base paycheck. Don't feel bad the post 1985 hires DON"T GET THEM.

Last edited:
T206driver said:
You really have no idea what an engineer or conductor goes through. The "blue collar" life style is a real stinker. You are really just a number to the crew caller. The union contract says you will be avalialble for work 24-7 365 days a year. Senority is everything. You are lucky if the Class I railroad shuts down for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Otherwise, work, work,and more work. No set days off. If you are not called in a 24 hr period, feel lucky. I know I was a conductor for 2 years. Even flying skydivers in a 206 was better than this. Pay, right, you are at 75% and increase 5% per year till you hit 100%. A conductor is promoted to Engineer but if you flunk out of Engeneer school you don't go back to conductor. You are OUT THE DOOR, to bad, on the street. If you want more info see WWW.therailforum.com. My screen name is Royalgorge. Please, enjoy the airplanes instead but the Class 1's are looking for alot of people to run trains. If you do hire on be aware of this situation. The old fat farts will sit around and complain about there "productivity checks" being smaller than $40K a year over and above the base paycheck. Don't feel bad the post 1985 hires DON"T GET THEM.

Thanks for the info, yea I figured it was rough but not that bad. Do you mean the senior guys get productivity checks and post '85 hires don't?

They need a better contract, that's for sure. Are they Teamsters?

Thanks everyone else for the info.

Yea Crossky
The United Transpotation Union/UTU who represents the conductors gave us the BEST contract in 30 years-screwing the firemen, and brakeman out of a job and the Engineers out of yard jobs due to Remote Control locomotives, all for new technology. Those that are left get a few buck extra per shift for less manpower. The Engineers are Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE) they are part of the Teamsters. LOTS of bad blood between both unions. Even the Pres. of the UTU went to Federal Prison for 2 years, HOW SCABTACULAR. You Bet, the post 1985 hires DON'T get the productivity, what a great contract for the old heads. Now the Class 1's are in a hiring frenzy to replace all the people that will retire and the mountain of freight that needs to be moved do to a good economy. Play with airplanes and go home clean at night. Just sum it up this way.:bomb::puke::angryfire:nuts::mad::crying::uzi::smash::bawling:.
T206Driver a.k.a. Royalgorge

Last edited:
T206driver said:

What does this have to do with flying airplanes for them?

All the class 1 Railroads have a history of treating there operations people like crap! Company officers/officials will fire your tail in heartbeat if the mood is right. The Union Pacific leads the way in abuse not like the other's are far behind. On the other side, maybe working for all the BIGSHOTS out of Omahaha isn't so bad. At least Pilot's are consodered Professionals and not just another shlub running the frieght that pays all the bills. Least we go home relatively clean after the workday is done and we usually stay ON DAYS period.

pilot772 said:
Did you have an inside track there or did you see the job posted somewhere?

No inside track, a friend told me about it, I applied on the last day the position was open for applying. It was listed on the UP website.

Latest resources

Back